Advice on Motion Sensor with light

I have two zooz 4-in-1 motion sensors. One is the version 1, I believe and the other is the second version. Version 1 goes through batteries like crazy and is a bit unreliable. I would like to replace it but I would like some suggestions on other motion sensors that also have the ability to report the light.

Aeon MultiSensor6 and their new Trisensor are decent devices. Dome makes one I like, I have two of the Dome and 12 of the Multisensor 6.

They are all Zwave and are fine except they are a little slow on response time. The various Zigbee ones respond quicker. I have 4 of the Iris (v2 and v3) motion and they are great for their lower price. They don't do Lux though.

Response meaning: they detect movement and are awake and sending the status to the Hub. Put a Zigbee motion sensor side by side with a ZWave and walk in front of them, the Zigbee's message will log first.

That's got nothing to do with their detection angles, distance or sensitivity. They seem similar to me. Not a big surprise, PIR sensors are decades old and the circuitry behind them are nothing new either.

Same with Illumination. The sensor and the circuitry to drive it is very old. All of the devices consider themselves to be motion sensors first, and send status for the other sensors (temp, lux, RH, tamper) as after thoughts. They report once an hour or once per (definable) large change.

Many people try to use the Relative Humidity (RH) sensors to turn on a bath/shower fan. Which means rapid reporting is critical. You don't identify your lux need, but it's going to be similar to RH.

I have:
2 x Fibaro FGMS-001 (eyeball)
2 x Iris motion gen2
2 x Ecolink pir
1x Trisensor

The tri-sensor gets stuck active after about 12 hours, takes a battery pull to get working again. I got tired of doing that and just left it stuck on, then it woke back up three days later, worked for 2 days and then went back to stuck active.

The ecolinks work but have a very long retrigger.

the Fibaros have a lot settings you can tweak, you either love the look or hate it.

the iris sensors are very fast and small but they are zigbee not z-wave

I have some iris sensors also and I like them but they don't do lux. I need lux because I have lights turn on in certain areas if the lux is below a certain number and there is motion. That way the lights aren't turning on when they don't need to.

I do something similar with an ‘evening mode’
I use one average lux sensor to turn this mode on when lux is low enough and it’s close to sunset.
That way, all my lighting automations only work when it’s genereally dark enough in the house.

Andy

FYI

I use ‘average all’ to average a number of lux sensors
And ‘Modes Plus’ to trigger on lux, but only if it is within 30mins of sunset..

When lux is low and the time is right, my hub changes to evening.

Andy

On the Fibaro you can set lux reporting interval and lux amount of change for reporting.

FWIW for me I've had better luck using an OUTSIDE lux sensor rather than using ones inside. Probably just where mine are but after turning on lights...the lux goes back up. If it's outside (or near a window) then you are measuring the light coming in. If that's what you are really looking for. I used to use my weather station illuminance for this...but now I use my external homeseer motion detector that has a light sensor built in. It only goes from 0 to 250..but 100 seems to be my magic number, so it works. Just a thought.

Again like others, when that illuminance drops below 100, I turn on a switch. Then I use that switch in rules. So regardless of mode, a storm could roll in and it could get very dark at 1pm. I have lights that will automatically come on then if we are home.

I don't have an outside sensor. But I might try to incorporate the APIXU Weather device or the WeatherUnderground device. But if I work with the lux sensors in the house then I can determine what a good lux setting is to have the lights turn on.

For me using APIXU weather...mine was right around 1000. Obviously everyone is different :slight_smile:

I also then used that and looked at readings between my lux sensors at that time of day. I really just had to "be there" during morning or night to determine what LUX level I wanted. Then it was as easy as just checking the readings. This equaled to about 100 on my Homeseer outside unit. That's my magic number.

Hi drew,

I was searching the web in regards to an issue I have with my Aeotec Tri-sensor, when I stumbled upon your post here.

My Tri-sensor also gets stuck to active (motion) after several hours, and the only solution I'm aware of right now seems indeed to pull the battery to get it working again.

Did you ever find a permanent solution for this issue?

Kind regards,
Kevin