Advice for a Z-wave vibration sensor

The goal is to detect vibration on a metal mailbox about 70' from the hub. I would place it under the box to get a clear signal. I've been through several button-battery Zigbee detectors and nothing works, either 1) the battery dies after a couple of weeks, 2) the signal is erratic, 3) the vibration detection is too weak or too strong. This leads me to think I need a unit with a bigger battery that uses Z-wave and, most importantly, has adjustable vibration sensitivity. There are a lot of reviews of vibration sensors, but I don't see any mention of adjustable sensitivity. Does such a thing exist? Thanks!

Have you tried a zigbee contact sensor? I have one mounted under my mailbox and a small round magnet stuck to the inside of the door and it’s worked well for over 5 years. Obviously battery life depends on the signal. Know I posted a picture of it years ago let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it. Had an Xbee before to increase signal to mailbox but did an antenna mod on a C7 and haven’t needed the Xbee. The C8 external will likely be helpful as well:

1 Like

Thanks, Michael. Always good to hear from you. I read through that thread and the xbee idea might work for me (still on a C3). I'm pretty sure I have one sitting around.

1 Like

The Fibaro ZW5 "Eyeball" sensor detects vibration. Not sure if it is still being made. Not a fan of the "eyeball" form factor when it comes to mounting.