Advanced Hue Integration + 1 Phillips Hue Hub, 5 scenes, and 49 philips hue devices overloading my Hubitat C7 hub

I have one C7 installed with a Advanced Hue Integration cause I have 11 motion sensors triggering dimmer changes when one mode is running, the other modes have a general dimmer change without motion sensors plus shades control. And some others RGB lightning design for the other scenes. Also I have 4 Zigbee four button switches to control lights and shades.

The problem I'm facing is an "severe" process requests to the Hub and my Zigbee network shutdown even If I reset the hub. I added a second C7 hub to control the wall switches and moved all the rules for the motion sensors to the new hub to release some load from the other hub where I left only the scenes and the Advanced Hue Integration but that hub still is getting the seme alerts and overloading. The logs points me all the time to the philips hue hub process percentage is always around 10 - 30% but any time I change a scene I'm getting "sever load" alerts.

I don't know if I can do something different to avoid this severe load and my Zigbee network off cause also I'm planning to increase my hue devices maybe add another Hue hub cause I'm at the suggested 50 devices limit.

Move and Pair the motion sensors directly to hubitat and switch to the Cocohue integration in Hubitat Package Manger. Go from there.

Ok, I left the sensors under the Hue hub cause I have the option to change the sensitivity of them but at this point I'm willing to lose that fine tune for the coverage. Never used before the Cocohue but it sounds like a better solution after some reading. Thanks!

Built in driver has option to change sensitivity

Advanced Hue is a 3rd party Hue integration as is CoCoHue. Both AH and CoCoHue developers are responsive. You should post your issues in this thread:

1 Like

OMG!... I've driving blind all this time. I read that I can install the Cocohue alongside other maybe to set up everything in Cocohue app.

I use CCH myself, and I think AHBI is very similar overall -- I'm not sure there's any huge benefit to reinventing the wheel in CCH if you already have AHBI up & running? But perhaps folks smarter than me can clarify...

Maybe just consider moving the sensors directly to HE first and seeing if that helps before moving the whole shebang to CCH?

My main issue is when I switch from one scene to another... all the time I got the alerts and I you can notice the struggle to change the lights values cause I'm changing dimmer values for device not as a main group cause of the lightning design. The sensors only trigger actions with one mode and I moved the sensors rules to the other HE

Severe load alerts can happen if you auto refresh turned on, and if it is too excessive.

I allow you the ability to refresh per-device, but 10 device refreshes is more intensive than one hub refresh. If you turn on event stream, you should turn off auto-refresh on any/all device, and leave only the hub refresh enabled. The hub refresh will re-establish a broken event stream if need be, but will not perform an actual refresh itself.

As a temporary work-around to a hue limitation with regards to event streams, I do issue a full hub refresh after any lighting event is received. This is temporary, and will be relaxed with per-group refreshes when I can get around to adding the more advanced logic.

As far as the load, % of busy is to give you an idea of how work is distributed, but % of total is where you see the load on the hub overall. Yes, hue can use a lot of processing time, but that time has to do with how complex your hue system is, not how many items are imported. The Hubitat must parse the json data stream into a data map. This parsing and translation library is extremely slow. Almost all the hub load is in the parser. I have been trying to work around the issue, but the only true fix is to not parse as much data, and the easy way to do that, is to not do to many refreshes.

This is why the built-in hue app has a minimum refresh interval and warns the aggressive refresh time is for testing only.

As hue provides more data about what has changed in their event stream, parsing of a full refresh will be reduced and loads go down.

It is all about finding a balance between a refresh schedule that is frequent enough to sleep the hub in sync and infrequent enough to not load down the hub.

1 Like

Sorry my dumb question but where do I do this?

Can you clarify your environment config here?

• How many dimmers/switches are involved in the scene that is struggling?
  • Are these Hue Scenes or Hubitat Scenes?
  • If these are Hubitat scenes, what types of devices are setup in the scene?

11 motion Hue motion sensors
9 Hue bulbs ambience dimmers
21 Hue RGB bulbs/stripes
17 Gledopto only dimmer controlers for LED stripes

All this devices in 5 different Hubitat scenes with a different lightning design with different dimmer and RGB setting.

All the lights and sensors are connected to a Hue bridge controlled by Advance Hue Integration.

Everything is controlled in a dashboard with 5 buttons to change scenes and also control shades in a couple of scenes. The shades works with a Somfy MyLink integration.

I added a second HE C7 hub to move the motion sensors rules and 4 physical 4 button zigbee switches to control shades and lights.

In the hub device and in each hue device, there is a setting for auto-refresh. By default the hub is on and the devices are off.

To address hue issues can you focus on only what is exactly installed on the hue hub, and of those, which are integrated to Hubitat? Thanks

Everything is installed into the Hue hub... In Hubitat I have only 4 zigbee swithces.

Maybe cause I{m using Advanced Hue Integration I don{t have that option for each device but it was off on the Hue hub

No. It is partly what I made my code for. The Hubitat one only allows full refresh. I had a use case where I only needed one bulb refreshed every 2 seconds so I created this code for that reason. I then later created the scenes support because Hubitat scenes cannot control hue bulbs n a way that felt organic, so i the. Created the hue groups and child scenes.

Now 10% of total isn’t really bad, it is just more aggressive usage than mine uses. I don’t fully understand how Hubitat determines that the hub is under heavy load, but I have all my LAN integrations on one hub, and all a-wave, non-hue zigbee, and rules on another hub. This seems to keep my system operating well. I use hub mesh to integrate them, and my hub only goes into a slow state of operation after about a month of operating, so I use the hub restart tool to reboot my hub nightly and never have load issues.

The reason I call it Advanced Hue Bridge is two fold. Partially because it is intended for advanced users that want more control over their integration and partially because it provides for a more advanced form of integration by providing control over scenes.

The funny part is that everything is working except my Zigbee network because of the severe load. But I{m guessing something is wrong with the HE hub cause I tried to reset to bring back the Zigbee network and on every reset (following the instructions to rebuild the Zigbee network) I'm getting the "ZigBee network is not online." alert at startup. And the "Hub load is severe" on any scene change but with los percentages and not that much processes.