Advanced Button Controller (ABC)

I actually had typed a similar explanation but just realized I didn't post it.

@stephack's solution for this is elegant actually and provides flexibility. This way, you don't only need to ramp up/down when you hold a button. One can ramp up by pressing 1 button and stop ramping by pressing another button. It's like a start and stop command (vs a held command) and could come in handy in various other situations especially in cases where the button controller doesn't have a held function.

Of course, having the Auto Ramp (the most logical method) is still there so it's a best of both worlds!

@yototogblo @EAN, please see requested changes below:

**Update 10/02/20 **
ABC Child App updated to v0.2.201002

• split Ramp section in 2. Original is now called Ramp(Auto Stop on Release) and there is also a new option called Ramp (Manual Stop) allowing start and stop via different buttons.
  • added the ability to unlock locks since this was added as an option to the HE built-in apps.

If you have previously configured any locks, you will need to edit that button and chose the action you would like performed (lock or unlock).

PLEASE NOTE: (IF UPDATING FROM v0.2.190210 OR EARLIER)
THIS UPDATE CHANGES A SIGNIFICANT SECTION OF THE CODE. YOU WILL NEED TO OPEN EACH CHILD APP AND CLICK DONE.

5 Likes

@stephack thank you so much!! The UI of the app is awesome but just out of curiosity, now that the built in Button controller is back, does the app provide any additional / different functionality than the built in app?

Honestly don't know. I haven't used the built in app since its initial release a couple of years ago.

I have been having major issues with the built in Button Controller with scenes and buttons.

The ABC however appears to not fall victim to those issues!!

Any way to control dimming via a group of lights?

Clarify:

• You want a group of lights to dim together by a button?
  • You want the action of one light to make the others do follow along?
  • Something else entirely?

I have a group of lights called "Garage Lights" made up of Garage Light 1 & 2 & 3 & 4.

The group shows up in the "switches" section but not the "Dimmers" section.

It's not a big deal as it works perfectly, it just makes it neater.

The reason for this is that the ABC App is looking for devices that support the StartLevelChange() and StopLevelChange() commands when you attempt to RAMP UP and RAMP DOWN the lights. Unfortunately, Hubitat's "Group" device does not support these two commands. Thus, one must use each bulb individually.

I have the same configuration in ABC for mine.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I might ditch the hubitat group app as it add extra features which my bulbs do not support anyway

Is it possible to copy/clone an exisiting ABC flow?
Could that be added?
As a user I have 2 pico remotes in the same room for the exact same functionality. I'd like assign both picos to the same flow or easily clone the existing flow and switch it to the second pico remote.

1 Like

I've had the same use case in the past...that would be nice.

Alternatively, what about being able to select two button devices instead of just the one? Wouldn't that solve the basic problem without two separate child apps?

That could work...having the option to add multiple Picos to a config would cover my use-case, anyway. :slight_smile:

Me too, that is why I was wondering if that wouldn't be the easier way to do this?

1 Like

Seems like it. I think we're done here, Ship it. :slight_smile:

Now YOU have to fix this app! I am too dumb to code. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Yes assigning multiple picos instead of just one would solve it too

@christian.busch @danabw @neonturbo
Great suggestion guys. I actually considered this at one point but it made the app more complex than needed and would have forced me to remove certain functions that I believe simplified setup.

For example, if someone added 2 different button controllers, everything would go haywire. The UI would not be able to automatically determine the number of buttons to display for configuration. This is just an oversimplified example as there would be multiple consequences to this one change. Essentially the entire flow of the app would need to be redone and would become an example of what I was trying to "fix". ABC was designed to make set up as simple and efficient as possible for the majority of use cases.

With regard to cloning a button mapping...beyond my skillset and would probably require some of the changes I mentioned above anyway.

4 Likes

Thanks for your response. Thought it might be an easy fix. ABC is awesome.

2 Likes