Adjust Fan in Rule Machine

I recently connected my Hampton Bay Zigbee ceiling fan controller using the standard HE driver. I'd like to include it in a rule that turns off all lights when I set the mode to Away by also turning off the fan. I see an action to adjust the fan and can select the ceiling fan. However, there are no options to adjust the fan to a specific setting, which in this case I'd like to set it to 0 (off). Any tips on how to do that?

That "adjust fan" action in RM is intended for fans that use a dimmer driver, like z-wave fan controllers. For the Hampton Bay Zigbee fan controller you would need to set up Custom Commands for it, and use those instead.

Within the native Hampton Bay Fan Controller device, you can very easily turn on the feature to create two individual child devices (one for the Light and another for the Fan). Each of these devices have the Switch capability, so you can easily turn the fan and light off via standard Rules with no custom commands required.

Also, both devices are Dimmers as well, and thus support standard Set Level commands. The Fan speeds of Low, Med-Low, Med, and High are mapped to 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% respectively. Again, this makes it very simple to use standard apps to control the fan without the need for any custom commands. (Note: there is nothing wrong with using custom commands, it is just usually simpler to avoid them when possible.)

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip @ogiewon. I had seen the option to turn on two additional devices in the settings but didn't realize it's purpose. This works perfectly! :grin:

1 Like

Thanks @bravenel. I'll go with the simpler option of using the additional child devices for now but may return to custom commands when I need to do something more complex.

I just got this Wink fan controller today, and I'm having issues myself. I did the child-device thing, and it works great with Alexa, and on my dashboards, however when I try to set anything with RM4.0, it simply does not react. I've tried specific fan speeds like low or off, and also tried it as a switch and turned it off. No dice.

Anyone else having similar issues?

RM 4.0 custom actions does not seem to include 'Fan.'

I guess it's just not my day. The fan lost link to the hub somehow. I had to cycle it at the wall switch. Man I hope this isn't foreshadowing for future fun. I don't think I've ever had a device do that before. The HE hub is 10ft away.

Looks like the normal fan controls work just fine in RM4.0. No custom commands required. Sweet! Fingers crossed it stays connected. I read that some others had zigbee range anxiety with this guy, but surely I'm close enough to not expose the hideous antenna of the wink module...

Take a look at this post.

I already had a couple of these Wink kits that were working fine. I bought 2 more a few months back. The first was hard to pair and keep pair even though it wa 8' from the HE hub. The second would never pair. They both had 1/19 manufacture dates.

After seeing this post about the poor antenna connection I open the unit that would not pair and the zigbee antenna fell off as I opened the plastic housing. I reconnected the antenna and beefed up the connection with hot glue. When I added it back to the fan it paired instantly. I still needed a repeater within 8' but it will now stay paired.

After success with second new kit I revisited the other kit with the 1/19 manufacture date. While the antenna did not fall off when I opened the plastic case I could see it was not properly seated on its terminal. I cleaned all of the factory goo that was supposed to keep the connection tight, reseated the antenna wire on its terminal and then did the hot glue trick to secure this connection. Once it was added back to the fan it stayed connected and has not dropped off the mesh since. Before this bit of antenna work it would fall off every couple of weeks. As with all of these Wink kits in my house, I did find this fan required a repeater within 8 feet.

Do you have a decent Zigbee repeater in the same room as the HBFC? It doesn't matter if the hub is in the same room... Many users have experienced frequent disconnects from the zigbee network until they added a repeater in the same room.

I did read that as well. I have two hubitat-direct Cree bulbs about 10 and 15ft away, but they're actually further than the hub.

Do you have any technical info on why it might disconnect from the hub, and prevail with a repeater? I've never heard of such behavior on other hubs or devices. Seems odd.

Cree bulbs make horrible repeaters. In fact, they can corrupt the repeated messages, which really makes for a mess. You need something like a powered outlet switch.

If Cree bulbs make for terrible repeaters, is there any reason I might want to migrate them over to my Hue hub to remove corruption/congestion from my Hubitat Zigbee space?

Unfortunately, I do not know why this is the case. I have a Securifi Peanut Plug in the same room and my HBFC has been stable ever since, even through Hurricane Florence, where we lost power for about 5 days, and I was running the house on generator intermittently throughout. So lots of power outages during that time, yet my HBFC somehow stayed connected to my Hubitat Elevation Hub.

Cool, I ordered a few 'new' ST power outlets to scatter across the house to strengthen my Zigbee network. I have lots of Aeotec Z-wave devices that keep that side strong... but Zigbee is always a low-performer for me. I just didn't think the closet device to the hub would ever have an issue. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. That will resolve that particular issue

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.