Adding Lan device

I dont get the idea of adding a WIFI device and its LAN discovery.
If i tasmotize some tuya devices how will i connect the tasmota device to my router ??? it needs soma app to connect it isnt it. Or in the supported devices i see Magic home wifi devices i have some wifi bulbs on Magic Home app they dont show up either. If someone could help me with some not too complicated explanation that would be much appreciated.

While I am not a Tasmota user, I do know how most ESP8266 devices end up connected to your home WiFi network. Most of these devices, when first powered on, will advertise themselves as a Wireless Access Point that you can connect your mobile phone, tablet, or laptop to. Once connected, they immediately want to be told what WiFi network they should connect to (i.e. the SSID of your home's 2.4GHz WiFi Router) and the password to do so. Afterwards, they reboot and connect to your home's wifi network. Once this happens, it is usually a best practice to reserve an IP address for them in your router's DHCP server to make sure that the device's IP address does not change. Once this is all done, you can then add the device to Hubitat using whatever community integration you'd like.

Pretty high level overview... I hope it helps...

2 Likes

connected to what. what do you connect a tasmota device to ? on your phone , laptop etc...

I don't understand your question?

When one of these devices first powers on, it has no clue how to connect to your home WiFi, right?

So, instead of connecting to your home WiFi router, it starts of as its own WiFi Access Point, broadcasting a unique WiFi SSID that your smart phone can see and connect to (you will be disconnected from your home wifi temporarily.) Once you phone connects to the device, it will usually pop open a web browser on you phone where you will configure the device with enough info to connect to your home's WiFi Router. Afterwards, both your phone and the device will then be on your home's WiFi.

Hope this helps clear things up.

1 Like

Ahha , so the tasmota has its own configuration webpage. Thank you for the explanation. did help indeed. do you know if the tasmotized device going to be recognized by the tuya or smart life app?

I have never used Tasmota, Tuya, or Smart Life... Sorry...

I recommend you take a look at the following thread regarding Tasmota. Post your questions in that thread and I am sure you'll get some answers.

2 Likes

Just to specifically touch on this point, Hubitat's "LAN Discovery" feature will not find these devices, Tasmota or not. All LAN devices I'm aware of that work with Hubitat (which Tasmota won't officially but can be done with the community integration above) either get added manually as effectively virtually devices or created by an app on Hubitat that helps you with that task (how I'm pretty sure Tasmota works, though I was never able to flashing the device I was hoping to try for this).

I'd basically ignore that "feature." Its current use is basically none--to such an extent that I'm wondering if its entire existence, including the linking to a "LAN device details" page not accessible from anywhere else I know of (like Z-Wave and Zigbee settings are from "Settings"), is an oversight. I'm guessing ogiewon probably forgot it existed, too. :slight_smile: Perhaps they have future plans for better use of this space.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.