Adding automation to Benq projector

Hi, I am trying to add automation to my Benq short throw projector. I do currently have the lights in my basement controlled by a motion sensor. But was hoping to add some sort of automation that when the projector is on the motion detector is not active and does not turn on the lights. But once the projector is turned off, the motion detector can detect motion and turn on the lights. Has anyone done something like this? Any help would be appreciated.

I’ve seen people do something similar. Options include:

• Add the projector to a power monitoring plug
  • Use a remote integrated with Hubitat to power it on/off (Like Harmony)

Once you are able to tell that it’s on or off, some options are available:

• Create a Rule that disable the device when the projector is on, enables it when off
  • Ad a check in the rule that controls the lights to only work if the device is disabled

Does this help?

Thanks for the quick response Sebastian. I just had a follow-up questions:

• If I am using a power monitoring plug, would I still need to use a remote integrated with Hubitat to power it on/off? Wouldn't the projector remote work? The power monitoring plug would be integrated into Hubitat, which could communicate with habitat and let it know that the projector is on/off.

You can use either a power monitoring plug or an integrated remote. If you use the projector remote, than the power monitoring plug would do the trick. Note that a Wifi power monitoring plug would be preferred to a Zigbee or a Z-Wave one, unless you have very few devices on one or the other. Power monitoring devices can end-up overwhelming the (Z-Wave or Zigbee) meshes.

Thanks Sebastian. Can I integrate a WiFi power management plug into hubitat? Any recommendations on a WiFi power management plug?

The ones I use were very tricky to setup - Bought them at Costco and converted to Tasmota. It was not an intuitive process, but the end result works for me. That said, probably not something I would recommend…

I know Shelly has some power monitoring devices, but not sure if any of them are plugs. Those that I am familiar with are typically kept inside the power box, connected directly to the wiring. A bit more work to setup, but that could work in this case.

I’m hoping others can share their recommendations… Mine are limited in this area…

I got some advice from @bertabcd1234 recently that I'll pass along. I would guess that the power consumption for the projector is noticeably higher when projecting. You should be able to set the reporting threshold high enough that it doesn't send out too many reports. The Sengled (Zigbee) plugs seem to get good reviews and support power monitoring.

1 Like