Adding Aeotec Range Extenders has made my BE469 and FE599 locks reliable

Watching the logs if I brought the lock close (strong) enough signal to fully pair, the configuration/get codes ran automatically after inclusion (at least with my BE469's), But I did tap the configure a separate time for good measure (and mainly to see how responsive it was) between when I tapped it and when the log showed the events.

I don't think configure is needed if the lock fingerprint is in the driver, which if it says it's supported, then it is. But can it hurt to do it anyway, or does it just not do anything?

Yes it will log configuring again, but you are right, since it paired as a "Generic Zwave Lock" the driver automatically configured upon inclusion.

1 Like

I found this was necessary for the FE599, but not the BE469.

I’m not quite ready to call this one solved yet as it had been driving me bonkers for weeks.

But... 4 Aeotec repeaters has so far been the magic number for me. 1 within 5 feet of the hub and 1 in the closest outlet possible to each lock.

For the past few days things have been running smoothly. I will give it at least a full week before I will consider it solved, however :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately my locks started getting flakey last night and today completely fell off again.

BUT there is hope due to this post! Adding user lock code failed on schlage lock

I will wait patiently knowing that it’s now being worked on, even though I am sure there are many priorities ahead of it. :slight_smile:

Agreed, try rebooting your hub until then, When I had an occasional issue, that seemed to bring them back normal again.

1 Like

Im hoping this solves my issue, As I dont want to replace locks. Im thinking it will because if I move my hub in visual site of the lock it works fine. Move it back to the media closet and nothing happens.

2 Likes

What generated the map image?

I thought the native BE469 driver had fixed my problem, but I just had an issue over the weekend. So thinking some repeaters. Anyone else had issues since implementing repeaters?

@staze

The map was made using z-wave toolbox.

I have had no issues since adding 4 range extenders.

Same here no issues since adding 4 range extenders

@mike.maxwell now that there is a dedicated driver for these locks would you consider adding the ability to change some of the extra functions from hubitat. Like turn on off the alarm and the built in auto lock feature?

3 Likes

@mike.maxwell

Just seconding @cwwilson08's suggestion. While not necessary for anything I currently do, it would be nice to control alarm sensitivity and the auto-lock features of these locks.

3 Likes

Yes, my Wink Hub 2 is flawless when it comes to range. I am hesitant to get rid of it

At the moment I'm researching openHab to handle my zwave as I've previously stated that the zwave radio in the C-5 is far inferior to be usable, but only with the "secure" devices inclusion like locks.

Interestingly when reading the openHab zwave binding info the following is posted on their site.

Coincidentally, this gives a very good explanation of the problems most of us have it appears that the C-5 radio on "Secure" pairing is on "Low Power Inclusion" because as many of us know the locks and the hub almost need to be touching themselves to get a successful inclusion, unlike most other platforms that users (myself included) claim to not have the same issues with must be on either High Power Inclusion or Network Wide Inclusion. This is pure speculation on my part as I'm sure we will not be provided the actual cause of our problems.

But this seems highly likely to be the case, in my opinion.

@craigs

Craig,

I currently have 3 of the Zen 15 in use in my rather small house. Have you eliminated the Zen15 as a potential Z-wave problem?

Bill

Nope, but getting a 2nd hub resolved my issue.

Here's what I previously tried - none of these worked:

• Multiple exclusion and re-pairing with Hubitat over a several month span, giving weeks of time in-between to allow the mesh to heal
  • Added 5 Aeotec Z-Wave Repeaters. One next to the hub, one next to each lock in the house. Two next to the lock in the garage (started with one in the garage, and added a 2nd after repeated lock failures over a month)
  • Drivers: tried combinations of Generic Z-Wave Lock, built in Schlage BE469 driver, user created drivers, user created apps like Reliable Locks. Again, each time I would wait at least a week between changes to let the mesh heal.

What I did that worked:

• Purchased 2nd C5 hub
  • Paired the 2nd hub with only the garage lock, and 2 Aeotec range extenders. Everything within a 10' radius.
  • Set up HubLink and LinkToHub

I’ve had this setup for 6 weeks now and no issues.

2 Likes

The reason I ask is that there is one of the Zooz Zen15 around 10 feet from a KeyWe Z-wave lock. If there is a known issue with the Zen15 causing issues, I'd need to start looking for a replacement. The hub is only about 15 feet from both the lock and the Zen15. But I added a Aeotec Range Extender 6 about 4 feet from the lock to hopefully increase reliability. When the wall mount power strip arrives, the distance to the lock from the range extender will drop down to about 2.5 feet.

I hear ya. I wasn’t able to scientifically rule this out. However, on my lock that used to be flakiest, it is now 100% stable on the hub that just has 2 repeaters and the lock.

The hub that still has a few Zen15s on it has had a lock fall off once, but I believe that was due to a battery drain issue and it only happened once so far. That’s my main hub with 50+ devices, rules, community apps and drivers however so I can’t claim it is the Zen15 definitively.

Is it possible for you to remove the zen15 for a while and see if your issues clears up after a day of mesh healing?