[Deleted]

[Deleted]

[Deleted]

[Deleted]

4 Likes

This ā€œfeatureā€ has been requested previously. FWIW, I think it is unlikely weā€™ll see it happen for several reasons, including:

1. Hubitat provides a free method for mobile notifications.
  2. This is potentially a support nightmare with Hubitat engineers/support having to figure out why a particular user is unable to send email. For example, there are ISPs who block outgoing SMTP connections on tcp 587/465 to servers other than their own. Should Hubitat engineers have to figure that out for a user who complains that their emails through GMailā€™s SMTP relay fail?

Twilio, for which there is an official integration, is pay as you go, and costs $0.0075 per SMS. So $1 gets you 133 notifications. I understand that $1 is more than $0, but Iā€™m unsure that pricing qualifies as $$$.

3 Likes

Not sure why you need SMS when built in notifications work, as well as Pushover (my preferred program). As said above, trying to support something like that would be a big pain as well..

1 Like

I just started playing around with Twilio yesterday - seems to be a much better solution than the "free" SMS via Gmail (to AT&T) that I am using.

1 Like

You also have to pay $1 plus tax for a dedicated number too, so $1.25 a month on average for me.

I just published a Plivo driver last week. Their pricing is similar to Twilio but the monthly dedicated number is half the price so a bit cheaper and same functionality:

1 Like

I'd looked at that after your post. However, all my automation logic is in Node-RED and I could not find a solution for it thereā˜¹ļø

2 Likes

Can you export a notification device from Hubitat to Node-RED?

1 Like

Hmm - possibly. Not sure if the added point of failure is worth it though since Twilio has a built in node and the cost difference is not that much.

1 Like

[Deleted]

1 Like

There are ISPs who block SMTP over SSL to servers other than their own.

[Deleted]

At one point of time Charter did, although they don't any more. Just do a search for ISP blocks "smtp.gmail.com", and you'll find examples where ports 25, 465, and 587 are blocked.

[Deleted]

There are several examples. Here's the first hit from that search (ISP blocks smtp.gmail.com)

[Deleted]

1 Like

You misunderstand email protocols..imap is only for retrieving email. As mentioned outgoing usually still goes out over 567 with tls and as also mentioned elsewhere there is currently no good way to
Implement tls here as the current telnet does not support it. Since tls is supported here for other protocols it may be possible to add it. Once that is done it would be easy to add that to existing smtp email gateway drivers.

[Deleted]

Yes I was talking about original post. I see it has changed now . Sorry

1 Like