Add location to backup file name when clicking on "download button"

For those of us with multiple hubs it would be nice if the location name was included when you click the "download" button at the bottom of the screen. The name currently is a time stamp with the HE version + ".lzf".

2 Likes

+1 on that. Not critical, but would be very handy!

1 Like

I just ran into this in anticipation of the new update which hasn't shown up on my system yet.

Did the backups and then couldn't figure out which was which!!! Had to go back redo each backup and rename before going on to the next.

Like you said not critical but handy!!

Hoping to get this topic restarted...

I personally would prefer the Hub Name versus something indicating location - as both hubs are in the same location.

1 Like

Why not use a script that moves it to a specific folder instead? The are a few examples of this scattered in the forum using NodeRed, powershell, or curl. This would give you even more flexibility than requested here and allow you to schedule your backups or keep multiple copies.

2 Likes

I could likely set up a windows machine to run a powershell script. For me personally, it seems a bit of overkill as I'm not looking to set up scheduled downloads. I only download a backup when upgrading the hubs/making a major change that I might want to revert.

I could probably only run the script on demand and avoid the download button in the interface... but as @bravenel likes to say, KISS :slight_smile: So obviously not critical, but it would be nice if the built in download could add an identifier versus setting something up outside of HE.

2 Likes

Lol. I hear you.
I just decided it was worth it to automate everything so I never have to really think about it. If I need a firmware...it's already there waiting for me. I'm just lazy like that I guess.

It's a good idea, and despite what I said, I'm sure in the future I'll set one up! I assume you run the code manually if you want a backup of something outside of a normal schedule?

I use nodered for my nightly backups of both my HE hubs. They are scheduled for 4am every morning (right after the maintenance) and are dumped in a backup folder designated for each hub so there is no need to rename them (but I could easily do so if I needed to).
If I ever needed to get a backup right then and there, I would just do it from the HE interface.

I keep 10 days of backups each...because...why not

3 Likes