Add Echo speaking capability to rules machine

Can someone point me to "How To" add the ability to speak on Amazon Echo in Rules Machine 5.1? My IPhone is there but Amazon Echo is not. I have added Amazon Skills and can control my lamp with Alexa.

Thx
Tony

There is a community app to let Alexa speak. I don't do too much of that so I just use a virtual switch on the Hubitat side that does an auto off. I export that switch to Alexa and then I put a rule on the Alexa side so if the switch triggers Alexa will say whatever I told it. I do that here with a rule for a tea maker where I want a reminder after the tea is brewed so I remember to put it in the fridge:

So basically when the "Tea Ready" virtual switch is triggered everything is then handled on the Alexa side for the announcement. The switch does an auto off after 1 second.

1 Like

The community app @tivomaniac mentioned is echo speaks. It's a bit of a headache to install. Also, unless you want to setup a always on computer on your network, you will need need to pay a monthly fee, as the external server software now charges for it's use. It is an awesome app though, once you get it up and running.

1 Like

There is an effort underway to rewrite the portion that runs on an external server so you can run it in a docker container. Once that's complete you'll be able to run it on a local machine that supports docker. I think most of us will choose a small rPi machine to do it, but the beauty of docker is that you'll be able to run it on lots of platforms.

2 Likes

I mentioned that there is another option, in fact I currently run my setup on a Rpi on my network. I listed the link so they could go read all about it.

2 Likes

Thanks... admittedly I did not click on the link :slight_smile:

I can't seem to get a virtual SWITCH to add to a routine? I can do a contact senor and able to use it in an Alexia routine, but can't close sensor in RM. How do you use a SWITCH?
Thanks

Sorry set it up awhile back itā€™s not a switch itā€™s a virtual contact sensor.

That driver is also a community supplied one. For more details check out: Use a Motion Sensor or Virtual Switch to trigger an Alexa Routine

I used a virtual lock (with no codes) works fine thanks. Now onto Echo speaks

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.