Add Device Name column in Device List

Actually that does help a bit, I didn't realise it would search the name field as well as the label.

1 Like

I use it all the time, if I want to search for my smart plugs I put in Kasa and get the list I am interested in. Or if I know the room, I typically include that in the name, so can search on that term as well.

Well there isn't a problem if I know the room, as I can sort on room, but over time I have moved things around and then I think, hmm where did I put that third smartthings multi-sensor? The only unique thing they have is their UID on HE (which I'd never remember) and the Name field.

I've just had a brilliant idea! If I ask Joe Page for an option to label the dashboard tiles with the name field instead of label, then I can use label for full name and name for friendly label.

Sounds good, if it can suit your needs and help others, great.

There's a couple of old threads where people discussed their approach to naming of devices, some threads started prior to the introduction of the Rooms feature. Personally, I like to include some indication of the room in the device name, though I can't claim to be 100% consistent on that... I know there is an intention for the use of labels, but it never really clicked for me.... Not sure why. I guess where I'm heading with this is, I like to include a reasonable amount of detail in the name, then that gives me the best chance of finding it in a search. I typically choose to display things on a dashboard differently anyway, so the length or other issues with the name don't bother me in that respect.

Well I always assumed that "Name" was the semi-formal field, as it's filled in automatically by the system after pairing and assigning the device driver. "Label" often gets left blank, leaving me to think that's for the friendly nickname. Since what gets filled into "Name" tends to be a duplicate of the driver name, I embellish that so that the Name field includes the brand and type of device, and if I have more than one of them, then I append a number, so they are each individuals. I don't include the room name any more since I do move things around and we have the room assignation column anyway. I like my devices to keep their own name regardless of their life story.

1 Like