Add a range extender or 2nd hub?

Reading this thread with interest as I'd like to extend coverage outside my house to the garden/shed and the signal from the current hub in the house isn't reaching.

Seems like my options are second hub or signal repeaters. One thing I'm hoping someone can help clarify is what are the disadvantages of going with a second hub option? (other than it likely being more expensive)

A second hub is a good option for this assuming you have a wired connection out there. If not a few repeaters may be a better option.

3 Likes

I've found a second (in my case, third) hub has a few advantages, including:

• Solid coverage of a physical space (your immediate need)
  • Less processing demand on each individual hub
  • Easy organization of Rules based on location (house, studio, office)

I do use repeaters in the two larger buildings, and my system is rock solid. But I find having multiple hubs makes for easy management as well.

3 Likes

Also gives you a hub to test out rules/apps/devices on without impacting the rest of the main house.

4 Likes

100% if you have a wired connection. I have had zero issues since installing the second hub. Best of luck!

4 Likes

Thanks for all the responses - looks like a second hub is the way to go.

Are there any advantages to using repeaters though? (other than being a cheaper option)

Possibly less potential interference especially If the hubs are too close - with Zigbee you can change the channel though. However repeaters do add complexity to the routing. A multi-hub setup is more complex on the rules and config side of things.

2 Likes

True, although if they are on the same LAN, Hub Mesh does simplify things quite a bit.

2 Likes

I agree but it is still (a bit) more complex than just a single hub setup and to your point definitely more difficult (but doable) if not on the same subnet.

As a happy multi-hub user and recommender I was kind of reaching for disadvantages.. :wink:

2 Likes

I find that repeaters can make the system more robust and reliable, and so I use them with two of my three hubs on our property (which has three buildings). BTW, while I formerly used Aeotec gen 6 repeaters, I've now switched to Ring range extenders because they can report power out/restored, which is handy.

2 Likes

You can't have too many repeaters.

3 Likes

Yes I agree it is not an "either or" situation..