Actions Not Running Although All Conditions Met

I have an action that is to trigger each time the Rain Status on my weather device changes.

Below is the action, but when it begins to rain/hail nothing happens. If I go into the app and select ā€˜Run Actionsā€™ the action begins to run but Fade does not complete.

Have you verifed that "Weather" (device) actually sends a "precipitation" event when you expect? The "Events" tab on the device page may help here, but turning on logging in the rule for (at least) triggers would show you what RM thinks it's doing. "Run Actions" bypasses the trigger (basically just causes the rule to get triggered manually) so won't be much help here, but I suppose it does show you your actions work as expected.

That being said, I seem to remember some issue with custom attribute triggers in RM recently. Are you on the latest hub firmware? I believe it was fixed, but I can't remember the exact problem...I'll see if I can find that.

Yes. I actually have two Rules that trigger the same way, this Rule - Rain Inside and Rain Outside which triggers the same exact way but controls outside lights when it rains.

When you have a rain event, how often are you getting the precipitationType from the device? Any chance it is more often than every 5 minutes? May be retriggering with each event, resetting the fade. Also, are you fading to 100? Up?

The rain event is either Rain, Hail or None.

It seems when Rain Triggers, the status changes from None to Rain. Presumably, there will be no change unless (i) the rain changes to hail or; (ii) rain changes to none.

I am fading up to 100.

Select (at least) "Triggers" for "Logging" in the rule and find out for sure. :slight_smile: That being said, I don't think fades get un-scheduled with a new trigger (unless explicitly cancelled), but I don't use them myself and don't really know, so that's me guessing based on what I remember. Wouldn't explain any problems in that case...

Your capture is in the wrong place. Your capture is going to happen whenever the rule is triggered. So, when the rule is triggered the 2nd time, for the rain event being none, it will recapture whatever the settings are and then immediately "restore" them to the settings it just captured. That has the effect of throwing away your first captured settings. Put your capture inside of your first conditions, right before turning the lights on.

How are you capturing the rain event?