Access IP Camera using RSTP URL

"The IP address to which the host(s) will be set. If no IP address is supplied the WAN address connecting to our system will be used. Clients behind NAT, for example, would not need to supply an IP address"
This is from the documentation. So I would guess it would work.

I read the documentation the same way that @frits did. However this method would force an update on a schedule whether it was needed or not. Too many unnecessary updates might be considered "abuse" and get you blocked. I don't know No-ip's policies but a lot of systems work this way.

I suppose you could get extra complicated and use another rule to get and store the wan IP address in a global variable but it would seem to be much simpler to do this through a driver.

Take a look at my Google DNS Updater...specifically the getIp() method. It stores the Wan ip as an attribute and only sends the update request if it has changed. The no-ip get request is eerily similar to Google's so most of the update method should work. It would just need to be tweaked to for No-ip's specifics.

Ryan780 I managed to have an arrangement similar to yours...I'm showing on my dashboard a snapshot from my camera every 2 or 3 seconds, now I would like to ask you (as you look experienced on these matters):

Is there any way to save the picture in a folder on another specific path on my lan?

The snapshot is a photo continuously updated by VLC so what I would like to achieve is to be able to make a copy of it to a different path when a motion event is triggered.

Can that be done on HE?

On HE? No. There is no file manager function within HE.

Any idea how to do this? I've got the camera setup in Synology, and all working, but I cant seem to figure out how to translate the stream.

ShinobiCE can stream a RTSP as a mjpeg stream and it does it really good. I use it.

I got it working with synology, to an extent. I have the mjpeg stream that I can paste into the browser and it loads, but when I paste it into the video player template, nothing happens.

Is there anything else to do? Other settings to change elsewhere?

The synology address (works in browser) is:

http://SynologyIP:port/webapi/entry.cgi?api=SYNO.SurveillanceStation.Stream.VideoStreaming&version=1&method=Stream&format=mjpeg&cameraId=3&StmKey="really-long-number"

Are you local?
That is, can you paste that URL into a browser and it plays?
If so, then there is a problem with the way that you've set up the template in dashboard.
I use SharpTools, so I can't advise you how to use the built in Dashboard, but there are people here with that kind of expertise.
Please note: you do have to get a license for additional cameras in Surveillance Station....

1 Like

Local - Yes
Plays in browser - yes.
License - I only want 1 camera to show up from the Synology. I have a total of 4 cams that go to my NVR (which I got before the Synology, so dont use the Synology for that).

I'm using the HE dashboard.

Any update on how to do this. I’ll be interested as well.

Just read the last few posts in this thread, and get it working via browser first, then incorporate it into the HE dashboard via the Image tile. (from memory, I dont use HE dashboard any longer).

I have my pi send me a text when my public IP changes by sending an email to my isp's SMS relay with my phone number.

https://www.howtovmlinux.com/articles/rasberry-pi/raspbian-debian-wheezy/get-email-when-public-ip-address-changes-using-rasberrypi.html

I'm trying to get this to work. I have 4 VLC shortcuts on my desktop for each camera. Under Properties, in the Target box, I have "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" rtsp://username:password@127.0.0.1:123/Streaming/Channels/201 (personal data changed). For VLC, I have to have the ":123" in the RTSP line.

How do I put this in my tile? Should the Video URL have the ":123" in it?

You can't view the RTSP stream in a dashboard tile. You can use a RTSP link to open an app that views RTSP, such as VLC or TinyCam. If your camera streams MJPEG/MP4 or has a JPG snapshot, that can go in an image tile or as a background to another tile.

If your camera doesn't have an MJPEG/MP4/JPG stream built in, you can use another machine running something that reads the RTSP stream and creates a new MJPEG or MP4 stream. The location depends on the software used to generate that stream.

That's what I was trying to do with @aguileramekin 's method. I guess I should have tagged him.

You have to use the dst: port as indicated in:
start vlc -vvv -Idummy rtsp://login:password@192.168.0.2/streaming/channels/2/preview --sout #transcode{vcodec=MJPG,venc=ffmpeg{strict=1},fps=10,width=640,height=360}:standard{access=http{mime=multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=--7b3cc56e5f51db803f790dad720ed50a},mux=mpjpeg,dst=:9911/}

If you used something like that command line, you'd find the MJPEG stream at http://127.0.0.1:9911 (from the same machine, as 127.0.0.1 is localhost).

This post encapsulates where I currently am. Can you share how you get the translated stream link from Synology Surveillance Station?

Open Synology Surveillance Station| IP Camera |

Under ALL Status, right click the camera you want the stream. Click Share Stream Path and make it available forever. Copy the path and place it into your favourite dashboard app. I dont use the HE dashboard any more, I use the Node Red dash. But I did use it in the past. It updates, I think, once per second, which is perfect.

Thank you very much for your help. However, it appears Surveillance Station isn't translating anything for me as both links are still RTSP streams:

sad trombone

My stream is http. I just had a look and couldnt see anything simple, sorry.