About to make the switch from SmartThings

Oh, I don't disagree with you and have even gone so far as to build out my own Mycroft device. The problem was that it caused the WAF to plummet because local voice processing just isn't even close to what cloud voice processing can achieve. It's just a sad fact of how limited we as consumers really are when it comes to local hardware choices. As a tech professional, I have a server rack at home. My neighbors that have "normal" jobs think I'm crazy for that. But, my skill level affords me the ability to run my own server farm here.

We can't say that for the "normal" users though and that's the real problem. Until local processing can keep up with cloud processing in an affordable package that is easy enough for "normal" users to run, that's not going to change.

It's a sad state of affairs to be sure.

1 Like

Hmmmm, perhaps from a different integration in Home? I just removed one of my switches from the HE Google Home app and it disappeared from my Android Home app in about 30 seconds. What kind of devices are you talking about?

A bunch of specialized virtual switches I use for automations, but didn't select them to be added to google assistant. Maybe I selected all at some point in the past, and now I can't get rid of them. They're not selected in the HE app, yet they're in the Google Assistant app.

Hmmmm, yeah, perhaps deleting the Home might do it. I've never experienced that behavior. Sorry :frowning:

1 Like

I had this on ST and i had to delete the home and start again. I think its a known GH issue, but i've not seen it on HE.

2 Likes

Would love some details on the under cabinet lighting. I want to do some strips around my house in various locations but it all just seems so complicated (having to buy the strip + the controller + connectors + :man_shrugging:)

Would love a super simple step by step tutorial...

Thanks,
Hubirat :rat:

If all you need is white LEDs, they're really simple - get a power supply, solder the two leads to the + and - pads of the strip, and plug it into a peanut plug or the equivalent, and presto, light on demand.

You don't need a controller (other than the smart plug) unless you want brightness control, which I didn't really need for the kitchen counter-top lighting.

The hard part isn't powering and controlling them - it's mounting them under the cabinets. It would be great if you could just attach them with their adhesive, but they'll fall down within days. They need to be attached better - a staple gun works, but getting pieces like these or these to make it easier - you can trade some money for time that way.

The other hard part is connecting segments between cabinets. I recommend cutting the segments to match the widths of the cabinet sections, and then soldering jumpers between the segments after you put it up (so you can thread the jumper wires through tiny holes drilled between the cabinets (rather than much larger holes you would need to thread the entire strip through the holes.

If you can solder well, this is pretty easy (although I end up lying on my back on the counter so I can do it right over my head rather than trying to do that while leaning across it, which makes it easier for me.)

I suspect there have to be tutorials for this stuff by now, although I didn't find any when I started using these (6-7 years ago), and haven't needed to look since then. If you decide to try, then good luck, and let us know if you find any good info for beginners.

1 Like