A very Lounge topic: recommend a refrigerator manufacturer?

Agreed. My father subscribed to it... that and my alumni mag are the only paper magazine subscriptions I still keep.

1 Like

Whirlpool/Maytag is all I've purchased for appliances. Never had a fridge fail.

Samsung should of never got into appliances. They look nice. But that is it.

1 Like

The Maytag brand was acquired by Whirlpool in 2006, and a repair tech who came out to my house to repair our Samsung dryer said based on what he sees, Maytag isn't any better than any other average brand.

Of course I had just p;urchased a Maytag washer in part based on the Maytag halo that I am encumbered with due to years of the lonely Maytag repairman advertisements. My family always had Maytags, so they have to be best, right?! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The other thing to keep in mind is that for every complaint out there we probably have lots of happy people. People rarely post glowing reviews most post "this piece of @#$%" reviews. So I try to weigh that too when I'm researching.

1 Like

Yup, that's why I picked the brains of the repair tech, he sees a general cross-section and random chance should mean that his sample is reasonably randomized, and he's been out on repairs every week for years so good sample size.

I asked him which one was best, and he laughed and said that they were all pretty much equally not best. :slight_smile:

Like others on here, I had an old Kitchenaid that ran flawlessly for years and years... until it didn't. Last year I had to replace it, and I found out what everyone finds out: it's all crap.

The space in my kitchen will only take a relatively small fridge (33"). Those tend to be simpler and not have all of the fancy bells and whistles that the high-end larger models do. So there's less to break. I always get a side-by-side, mostly because I want an ice maker. Putting an ice maker in the door of a refrigerator compartment has never made sense to me. It seems like that's just asking for trouble. So, although I like the newer French doors and bottom freezers, I stick with side-by-side so the ice maker is in the freezer compartment. The relatively squeeze freezer compartment works for me because I have a freezer out in the garage (which is a whole 'nother story).

I bought a GE last year because it had two humidity controlled drawers and a snack drawer. Consumer Reports didn't like it, but so far :crossed_fingers: it's been fine for me. Holds temperature really well in both compartments, the ice maker is slow but makes ice and hasn't had any problems. But I've only had it a year.

Can't say I recommend that brand necessarily. But that was my thought process when I bought it.

1 Like

Yes, the side by side seems a more efficient arrangement space-wise, especially compared to models that take up useful space with the structure needed on top and bottom of a center pullout drawer. The thing I really liked about the Samsung I have is that the icemaker is completely contained in the upper part of the freezer door, as opposed to having the outlet in the door and the actual icemaker taking up space where normally the top freezer shelf would be. That, and it fits in the 36" space I have with about a spare micron on either side. God help me when it comes time to replace it..

1 Like

I will second the recommendation of GE. We have one of these:

https://www.geappliances.com/search.php?search_query=CYE22USHESS

and, in the laundry, companion washer and dryer units.

No, they don’t integrate with Hubitat, but has a cloud WiFi interface to a GE app that lets you remotely check status, adjust controls, get notifications when Keurig water is heated (and can schedule that). Washer & dryer similar. But the most impressive part is the built-in diagnostic system. Earlier this month, the cooling capacity seemed to become weak. GE service tech came out, attached his computer to diag port on top, got readout similar to what auto techs get from auto ODB diag port, telling periods when door was open, cooling cycle history, status of all temp sensors & rotation speed history of all fans, etc. Diagnosed bad temp sensor & intermittent rotational sensor on one of the fans. He was able to repair it all from the front without having to roll the refrigerator out - easy access to all parts when inside panels removed. Well designed, fixed in less than 1/2 hour.

1 Like

Consumer Reports ratings are no where as useful as they were 20-30 years ago, and the print edition no longer contains much in the way of real reviews. The website has left me disappointed the last few times I've looked at it (I get free access to it via my local library).

However, I did just use their website to research a new dishwasher (Bosch is the best overall brand) and a new range. Both are for our upcoming kitchen remodel - although the dishwasher wasn't planned... the old one just broke 2 days ago.

Unlike dishwashers, where Bosch holds the top 5 rated models, the top of the refrigerator ratings has ones from many different manufacturers.

1 Like

I'm about to remodel our kitchen and have looked at several different ovens, microwaves, and fridges. The fridge that my wife and I selected is an LG french door model (standard depth). I was told by an appliance store representative that Samsung fridges are troublesome because of lack of repair people in the area.

1 Like

Neighbor used to work in an appliance store and said same thing. Weird things would break and she suggested to avoid them.

Funny. I’m buying one as we speak. LG LRMDS3006S is what I’m going with. I always used CR reviews... last fridge was a highly rated Frigidaire. Never had more problems with a device in my life. The next year CR “revised” their review to say it wasn’t a good model... well that’s too little too late. I’ll never buy Frigidaire again. So now I got with more anecdotal info and ask friends and family what they bought.

Oh and this gives me an excuse to build a ThinQ integration with HE :grimacing:

3 Likes

My brother just bought an LG counter depth model; not sure which one. So far they like it a lot. I like the LG stuff I've owned, latest purchase being a TV in 2018 (that after owning 2 Panasonic plasmas, one which needed repair after a year; the second bought in 2013 died after 5 years and wasn't practical to fix).

I lost respect for CR reviews when the 2011 Altima was picked as their top rated sedan. I have nothing against the Altima but the following year, David Chapman (their auto test center director) was hired by Nissan in 'a newly created position' as executive adviser. And the year after that, Toyota was the top pick; the Altima never made it to the top since. Buyer beware, regardless of CR's verdict.

1 Like

My wife and I were looking at that specific model-- very nice. I like the two icemakers and the door-within-the-door access.

Yeah, they have the ones where you knock on the door and it shows you what's inside but our fridge isn't always well organized... not exactly the thing we want to show off to guests!

Weird thing about these LG fridges, the fronts aren't magnetic??? Gone are the days of showing off children's artwork on the fridge I guess.

Oh and a note for those who said they're shopping, at least by me, more COVID-19 induced supply chain problems, all appliances are about a month out for delivery.

Bosch factories were shutdown early this year, re-opened for a while, then shutdown/reopened again... My brother's dishwasher had conked out and most Bosch models were backordered everywhere. He was able to get a new LG range & refrigerator without delay (ironically he hadn't planned on replacing these initially) through Abt in Chicago; Bosch dishwasher took about six weeks to get.

Yeah, it's been years since most appliances were magnetic...our Kitchenaide fridge from way back in 2004-ish is stainless steel and is non-magnetic. Same w/our stove, our dishwasher, etc.

A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic . ... However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non - magnetic .

Kinda sad for me, I miss all magnetic clutter. My wife, however, is very happy about the "dumb magnets and mess" being gone. Tomatoes/Tomahtoes. :wink:

2 Likes

I buy whatever @dman2306 does so I can ride the coattails of his many hubitat integrations :rofl:.

Still saving up for a bathroom remodel that includes a Kohler DTV+ system :wink:.

That’s good to know, I think I always assumed it was just a limitation of stainless steel in general. We got around that by adding a magnet board to the freezer with a few 3M command strips. Otherwise my kids end up taping all their stuff to the walls, which drives me nuts.

1 Like

Ooh digital shower. How do I sell the wife...

2 Likes

I’ve had several LG appliances (refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, stove, washer & dryer) for years and have had issues with all of them. They are all slowly being replaced with other brands. In my opinion LG is junk and I would not recommend them to anyone