A very good suggestion for slow or unresponsive Z-Wave devices

I am having a hub issue so opened a ticket with support. Bobby was monitoring my logs and pointed out that I had several Zooz 4-in-1 sensors securely paired. I had no idea they could even do that! He said if I re-paired them, it would improve speed on my hub. He pointed out that with release 1.1.7, the default is to only do a secure pair for locks and doors. I also discovered that my Zooz ZSE18 motion sensor was securely paired, and I've had nothing but trouble with it, especially being outside and not real close to the hub. Once I re-paired those sensors, the ZSE18 has been working like a charm! I thought others might want to check their devices as well.

Also excellent customer support to give out advice not related to the issue I'm seeing!

4 Likes

I wonder if that is the problem I'm having with my Aoetec TriSensor freezing once a day. Did you have to Exclude then Include and rebuild your rules?

@bobbyD is there a way for us to tell what is joined in secure mode?

I did have to exclude/include and then rebuild rules. Don't know if it could have been done a different way, but it was worth the work!

Note the "zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true"

deviceType: 18244
zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true
inClusters: 0x72,0x98,0x5A
deviceId: 12336
manufacturer: 335

Create a virtual device. Use a virtual driver that allows it to be shown in the rules. (Real switch, placeholder with a virtual switch driver.) Add it to the Rules, replacing the device you are about to exclude. Rinse, repeat, for all instances. Then do your exclude and include. Put the new device into your rules, replacing the placeholder. Finally, delete the virtual placeholder device.

4 Likes

@mike.maxwell explained that it makes 3 round trips with secure pair, so definitely something you don’t want for anything but a lock or garage door opener.

Beginning with version 1.1.7, it is now possible to include these "always secure" devices, such as Zooz, Monoprice and some Inovelli switches and sensors, as non-secure. Unfortunately, once a device is encrypted, must be excluded and re-included to take advantage of this new non-secure controller option.

To identify which devices are encrypted, go to your hub's web interface and click "Devices," then click on the link for each sensor or switch and scroll down to the "Data" field in the bottom table.

An encrypted device would display: zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true. A non encrypted device would not display the "zwaveSecurePairingComplete" field.

3 Likes

Looks like I have three motion sensors to take out of secure mode. @csteele thanks for the tip on how to do this without having to rebuild everything

Also, go to the bottom of the device page and look for "in use by", make sure to take note of those and update them after the device is re-added.

Here is a list of devices known to pair as secure. Please check the "zwaveSecurePairingComplete" flag on these devices first. If you find other devices that have been included as secure (no locks or garage doors), please share them on the thread below:

1 Like

Maybe the z-wave information page should have a new column to show if a device is encrypted or not. Much easier to identify then having to go into each device to find out.

Just a suggestion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

While were suggesting new columns, can we have a column reflecting the state of the device?

Thanks for your feedback. There is a another way, now, to quickly identify these devices. If you go into Settings then Z-Wave Information page, the encrypted devices have 0x98 command class listed in the "Clusters" field.

3 Likes

So I'm confused. The device below used to have the secure pairing = true. I did and exclude and then and include. Secure paring = true is longer listed but it does have a 0x98. Does that just mean it is a Zwave plus device or is it still doing encryption?

Inclusters means the capabilities of the device, 0x98 means the device can be secure paired, not that it was paired in secure mode. If you don't see zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true then is not secured. For example, a z-wave plus device has 0x5E but non plus doesn't have the 0x5E, capabilities.

2 Likes

Thank you Bobby. I was asked this question just the other day on FB and didn’t get an answer. Perfect. I have now confirmed that I have successfully paired my Zen06 in secure mode as intended. Input this in place to help my Schlage lock and it seemed to fix things but I was never sure.

I’m not sure if this popped up when I paired or not. Nice to be able to confirm as in Bobby’a post after the fact.

You probably have other reasons to pair it securely.

However, I just wanted to mention that a device does not have to paired securely to act as beaming repeater for a securely paired device like a lock or a garage door opener.

Hmmm, 0x98 is showing up for me from a Zooz 4 in 1 device (installed nearly a year ago) and my new Inovelli Black Series dimmer installed 3 weeks ago.

No slow hub for me, should I chance it and delete them and start over just to be safe?

Rick

A device having 0x98 in its cluster list just means that the device is capable of joining using s0 security, it doesn't mean that it is currently joined that way.
Secure inclusion is defined by zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true

Thanks Mike, I see the difference now

Rick