A RANT! - Electrical boxes

@Navat604 look at the new Inovelli Switch you can use without neutrals.

maybe this is the reason ?
I live in Quebec. forever winter but the blue sky changes everything from the grey one. You know what I mean here :grinning:

Thanks, changed that :grin:

I know exactly what you mean! Happy for you. Little jealous though :joy:

@gavincampbell, I really like the push-in wire connectors you linked. What was the tool you mentioned to flatten the wires?

Does anyone know if there is any electrical code issue in US/NJ with using the push-in connectors vs. a wire nut?

We only use push in/ crimp or grub screw in the UK, there were issues with twist on connectors years ago and the manufacturer have never been able to convince us that they are safe again.

Just so not to confuse people, in the U.S. red is also used in 3&4 way switches as one of the travelers. In this scenario it comes from the same 110v circuit as the black, so it wouldn’t give you 220v because it is on the same phase of the dual phase residential electric.

1 Like

You are correct. I didn't think about that.

After reading it, I realized that it probably wasn’t any more clear to someone unfamiliar with how home wiring works. But maybe someone finds it useful.

1 Like

I use the Wago Lever-Nuts. Connections can be undone, they don't damage the wires, and they can be used with stranded wiring. Make sure to buy the Wago brand, Amazon has some Chinese copies.

https://www.wago.com/221/us/

1 Like

Something like below can help save your fingers. I've been trying to find something similar locally I can get for cheap but haven't really searched too hard.

I looked at those as well. But haven't tried them because they weren't avail in my local home depot. Not sure how they compare in thickness to the ones that I reference but I don't think you can go wrong with either. I also make sure to leave extra slots for future expansion. So if I'm in a 3 gang box and know I may add two extra smart switches later one, I'll leave a few extra neutral connectors open to make it easier later.

They're totally worth ordering if you can't get them locally. Trying to remove push-on wire nuts is awful!

1 Like

I have these and work just as well as the wago's (which I also have).
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/4vjrRAHE

1 Like

Those are Wago knockoffs of 2 different styles. Real Wagos are made in Germany and are UL certified. I'm comfortable paying more and not putting some rando mechanical device in my electrical system.

1 Like

For me it depends what I'm using them for. If it is high voltage I use the wago's if it's low voltage I use the cheap ones.