A Noob at the VPN thing

Yes, the Dynamic DNS that I am using is from Asus' stock firmware. Merlin hasn't changed that portion that I am aware of.

I also have OpenVPN on my Asus router just for HA stuffs but I tried running OpenVPN server, Softether, and Zerotier on my dedicated PC on my Ubiquiti home network before with success.

I have an EERO router… they have encrypt.me as a VPN solution but it doesn’t seem to have a point to point VPN like dynamic DNS.

I will reach out to EERO support.

I’m not an expert at this at all, but I think none of these commercial VPN services do what you want.

People generally use those providers to encrypt the traffic they’re sending/receiving, or to get around location-based restrictions on accessing certain websites/services.

I’m not sure if it’s possible to redirect all traffic to your LAN if you’re using a VPN server run by one of these commercial services.

If you have a Synology or QNap NAS, they have built in VPN server functionality you could setup. One thing to keep in mind though, I believe Hubitat is going to release their phone apps shortly, which I believe will allow you full access to your hubitat environment without a VPN.

1 Like

The bigger question is whether the mobile app will have things like RM?

I found a post on reddit about Synology so I’m learning about that because it seemed the Synology VPN only provided access to Synology services and not everything on the LAN

I prefer a true firewall / security gateway and either using that as a vpn end point or having an additional vpn endpoint. On the cheap / free / opensource end of the options I like PFSense running both as firewall and vpn concentraitor. I also like for home implementations some of the dedicated mini boxes for pfsense (https://www.amazon.com/Firewall-micro-appliance-Gigabit-Intel/dp/B01AJEJG1A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524250824&sr=8-3&keywords=pfsense)

I also like the ubiquiti stuff and have heard great things about their security gateway. I have used their switches, access points and cloud key and have been very happy, just haven't had a change to play with the security gateway. It also supports a vpn.

I like a lot of seperation w/ in my environment. Firewall (currently pfsense), VPN Concentrator (currently cisco ASA - NOT RECOMMENDED), Wireless Controller & APs (Unifi), Storage (QNAP).

I had used the pfsense for years as a standalone vpn concentrator and as an integrated firewall / vpn concentrator.

I wouldn’t give up my ubiquiti unifi gear if you held a gun to my head. I love it. VPN setup was super easy too.

2 Likes

Agree and I did setup L2PT before but it was a pain to setup on IOS and android. Openvpn is not so easy to setup on a Unifi gateway.

I just finished putting together a Synology 918+ with 4 10TB Ironwolf Pro drives, and upgraded the ram to 16GB. I haven't played around with the VPN server yet. I am primarily using it as a Plex media server. Here is the description from the Synology app store. I don't think it's limited to just Synology services but I could be wrong.

I have a Qnap NAS and currently running QVPN Service. I choose to use OpenVPN option. Synology has similar software.

It does allow you to access your local lan which in turn access to your hubitat web portal. best of luck

So I finally... got this VPN thing setup HUZZAH!!!

How do I connect to my HE because typing in the local IP address does not work.

Just another VPN option to throw out there is PiVPN. Does all the work of setting up an OpenVPN server on your RaspberryPi and has been really stable.

2 Likes

Did you get it setup on your EERO router? There's usually an option to "Allow clients to access server's LAN"

+1 on the PiVpn recommendation. I set this up a couple weeks ago and it works perfectly. This video was particularly helpful.

3 Likes

The UniFi router is cheap, powerful and has a built in remote access VPN. Plus their APs are the best.

I have UniFi at home and still use Pivpn. It's just that much easier with OpenVPN on mobile devices. Highly recommend Pivpn and Pihole in a Pi.

Pivpn is great, but no longer maintained. I still use it though.

As for running a VPN on a synology or qnap... I am not exposing a device that has backups of all my sensitive stuff to the internet. If you must run a VPN on your nas, stick it in a docker container or a VM.

Someone did takeover and it's maintained again.