A Long Shot

So the wife wants Alexa to play baby lullaby music via Alexa if sound is detected at night in the baby's room. I have the Nanit camera in there (WiFi connected) but I'm thinking instead of using that, there might be a better way. Using the notification on my phone to prompt something was my initial thought but I shut down notifications & such at night. Anybody got any thoughts on this or is the "juice not worth the squeeze".

Thanks

1 Like

are you able to have the nanit detected in HE? it looks like it can connect to Alexa, are you able to work anything that way?

if not, you could try a convoluted method of sending a virtual switch to Alexa, and turning that on when sound is detected. then in HE you activate a virtual motion sensor based on the virtual switch turning on. then using that virtual motion sensor, you can trigger Alexa to do things in the Alexa app

You could possibly link your camera (if it's supported) to tinyCam and then use its built in noise &/or motion detection to then send a Webhook to HE (see my post on this subject on the forum). Camera motion detection in the dark isn't that good in my experience but the sound trigger should work OK to play some music for a while then shut off automatically.

Or.... Can just use a motion sensor? Look for multiple motions within a short time (eg. like a stack timer)...

If your phone is an Android (or you have an Android tablet in the house) and you are willing to purchase and learn to use Tasker, it can be done. I use Tasker to get Notifications from my Amcrest & Wyze cameras to change virtual motion sensors in HE. Flipping a virtual switch to trigger Alexa to speak wouldn't be any more difficult. If that might be an option for you, I can share more details.

Yeah, Wyze cam V2, set to detect sound as a trigger into IFTTT and onto HE would appear to work.

Oh how I wish Nanit spoke directly to HE, what a wonderful thing that would be. I have thought about the virtual switch to Alexa & up until I figured out that I actually had to regulate control of when it's on or off... Still trying to get that to fully work as desired.

This is interesting, I'll have to check to see what the support is. See a lot of posts about tinycam for various things, times to dig more.

I have Tasker and use it daily. The problem that I mentioned in the original post is that I have a night mode running on my phone that turns off notifications, volume, screen brightness, mobile data, etc so don't want to use that and just keep my phone out of this one.

I like, I like. I have a Wyze CAM that I bought just for fun that I'm not even using. I definitely could put it in the baby's room right now and make this happen.

Thanks everyone, this is why I love the community. I'll report back when completed.

I haven't done it with AutoNotifications in Tasker but I think you can setup so that Notifications that fit a certain criteria will go thru even when in Night or Do Not Disturb Mode. It wouldn't make a sound on your phone, just simply send an HTTP Request to trigger a virtual device on HE with Maker API or similar.

With that being said, I understand if you want to go a different route. I do this all w/ a cheap Android phone bought at a grocery store that sits in my office 24/7 without any data service; not the cell phone that is always at my side even while sleeping.

No, I like it. I tried to use Autonotifications but didn't work it out. I posted this to spark thoughts & this is definitely something to consider especially if it works in DnD. Thanks so much

I had visions of using tasker and auto notifications to try and emulate actionable notifications. Got to the point of installing tasker and auto notifications, watched some of a YouTube clip and my head started to hurt :slightly_smiling_face:. Would love to see some straight forward instructions.

1 Like

Would a Samsung multi purpose sensor pick up enough movement to trigger something in HE? Might be worth a try...

1 Like

I cannot say that the instructions I put into this other thread are straight forward but it goes into more detail on how I got Eufy Doorbell --> Tasker --> HE to work:

1 Like

Take a look at @stephack join driver. It produces very nice actionable notifications.

1 Like

I have those and love them on my doors and as tilt sensors on the garage. I'm not sure they will work in this scenario because he might move in his crib but not actually wake up. I want it to trigger on him actually starting to cry.

1 Like

If there anything like my babies a glass break sensor might work lol.

2 Likes

There's an official firmware for them that turns them into a USB webcam too now.
Easily undone if not needed.