A few questions before pulling the trigger

They work well with HE, but they are amazing with Hue. I bought 10 of them when they were on sale.

Gledopto might be a good choice for the recessed lights. I only have experience with their RGBW controllers so I don't know for sure. One benefit with those is that you can link them to the Hue Bridge and use them with 3rd party Hue phone apps to sync to music. They'll also work with Hue Labs animations. The downside is that they can't be added to Hue "Entertainment Areas" so they can't be used with Hue Sync.

Edit: I should probably note, when using 3rd party bulbs with the Hue Bridge, there could be some funkiness. I haven't run into issues with Gledopto, but YMMV.

I personally didn't care for these at all. They just felt cheap for how much they cost and wouldn't stay on the switches I tried them on. I ended up returning them. Also, OP is in Switzerland, so those won't work for him. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I bought one to use to create the Hue Integration for it for Hubitat. It's pretty cool, but creating an integration for it is a major PIMA. I had to put that feature on hold, at least until after the V2 API migration is complete... I too like it. It's a clever design.

1 Like

Are there any issues with it running directly on the HE? I don't need any fancy dimming or other fine grained controls just on/off maybe a crude dimmer setting. Also have to see if it meets WAF..

The biggest one would be: if using the mirror me app, because HE sees the button as off/on, this can be problematic if the device you’re controlling is also controlled by something else.

1 Like

I live in Switzerland in an old house that we are renovating. That adds a few challenges...

The space we have in the ceiling to install lights is only 5cm deep. So the usual GU10 shape bulbs one would use for down lights cannot be used. Using fixtures that protrude is not an option either as ceiling height is only 1m92 (Yes, old mountain houses in Switzerland are like that).

So we are stuck with flat fixtures, and because the ceiling is so low we prefer stuff that does not produce to much glare.

The Gledopto I liked, but I have an issue with my electrician. He insists that since the ceiling is wood the lamps we build in must have the MM mark, indicating you can install them in materials of unknown flammability.

So we are still looking for good lights.

Then there are the controls. Here we want to go for something that looks conventional as much as possible. So to switch the light on you just press a button on what looks like what everyone expects here a light switch to look like.
And here Switzerland does things a little bit different as well, and as a result, when it comes to switches and sockets there is one company that basically enjoys a monopoly here. Switches and sockets are put in wall boxes that are round (diameter 83 cm) or square (77mm on a side) and it is customary to have multiple of them together. My electrician put in lots of double boxes and extra ducting. So the standard wall box looks like this
Hohlwanddose-2times1-Agro-850degC-Laschen-M2025-ws-372633219-6234-500x500

And it is very common to have a combination of a switch and a socket. Great when vacuuming, as you do not need to bend down to plug the vacuum in.

Because of those vertical double boxes none of the usual Z-Wave or Zigbee switch/module combinations work. What does work is wire in a module in the back of the box, as they are quite deep. So hence my interest in Shelly Switches.

Now Feller (the Swiss company that basically produces the wall switches that are in pretty much every house here) has a Wifi system that is quite interesting. You have a module with a faceplate with a number of buttons, up to six, and the lower one operates the local load (eg. a dimmer) and the upper ones you can freely program do to things. Including operating other switches. The whole thing uses wifi. It does not need a hub, but it does require your network to be up for the special functions. With the network down you still have local control. Looks like really what I need to satisfy both my desire to tinker and my wife's for something that just works.
Those Wifi Switches all have their own Webserver, and an API that has been published. So like Shelly, but a bit more expensive. I do like the look though:

It will all come at a price, but on the whole remodel it is not going to add up to a lot...

1 Like