A chime to work with the C8

Hi. A new user here.

I've got a Z-Wave Plus Sensative Strips Guard 700 working on my C8. I want a gentle audible alert in the hall if the door with the Guard strips is left open. Any suggestions for a device to produce the audible alert? All I can find are sirens.

Thanks

1 Like

The Aoetec "Siren" is their doorbell without the button. It has a variety of sounds. I use the Westminster Chimes for our front doorbell.

• soundEffects :
    {
    "0":"None",
    "1":"Ding Dong",
    "2":"Ding Dong Tubular Bell",
    "3":"Traditional Buzzer",
    "4":"Electric Buzzer",
    "5":"Westminster Chimes",
    "6":"Chimes",
    "7":"Cuckoo",
    "8":"Traditional Bell",
    "9":"Smoke Alarm (Low)",
    "10":"Smoke Alarm (High)",
    "11":"Fire Evacuation Buzzer",
    "12":"Carbon Monoxide Sensor",
    "13":"Klaxon",
    "14":"Klaxon (Deep)",
    "15":"Warning Tone",
    "16":"Tornado Siren",
    "17":"Alarm",
    "18":"Deep Alarm Tone",
    "19":"Alarm (Archangel tone)",
    "20":"Alarm (Shrill)",
    "21":"Digital Siren",
    "22":"Alert Series",
    "23":"Bell",
    "24":"Clock Buzzer",
    "25":"Christmas Tree",
    "26":"Gong",
    "27":"Single Bell Ting",
    "28":"Tonal Pulse",
    "29":"Upwards Tone",
    "30":"Door Open"
    }
2 Likes

I have some of these. The cool thing about them is you can use either built in chimes or use a custome sound you put on an SD card. So you could literally put an alexa statement on the card saying "you left the hallway door open"- or whatever .

If you have Alexa echo or Google Home devices, you could use them to either play .mp3s of a soft chime, or run a text to speech to notify you..

And... there's also methods that utilize old (or new) phones/tablets for announcements or notifications.

1 Like

And you could just send a Push Notification to your smartphone, so you'd hear it wherever you are, as long as your phone is with you.

you left it open ... dipsh** lol

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions; they are much appreciated.

Could you share your opinion about Sensative Strips Guard 700? I'm considering buying them, but so far I did not find anyone who used them, so I will greatly appreciate feedback.

And "Aoetec "Siren" is on my list of considered devices too.

Hi. Apologies for the delayed response. The sensitive guard strip is on backorder so I haven't been able to try it, hopefully, I should receive it soon.

Thanks for everyone's help. The Sensative Strip Guard 700 arrived this week. I had a little difficulty adding it to my C8, but then I am new to all of this. I now have it installed on our front door with one of our echo devices announcing the door is open. It all seems to work quite well. I'd like to figure out a way for the echo device to keep repeating the announcement at intervals while the door is still open. There must be a way.

I have their older unit and it can be set pretty quiet too.

Cool, like my Aeotec AW056-A only it uses built-in memory and USB. There are some on-line sites you can use to generate some decent speech.

Yep, my just says "Front Door Still Open". For the sliding glass door (in back) I use the sound of the NCC-1701D doors.

Probably one for the rule machine category. A separate rule:

Trigger:
Front Door Opens (and stays for x seconds [or minutes])

Actions:
Repeat while expression (contact, front door, open)
Announce on ??
End repeat

Here's a mock up using my Sonos:

Expensive, I paid $45 on eBay for my Aeotec model, last year. Still, this should work. Looks like volume is controlled by hardware. It does have a battery and S2 though.

Thanks. Any idea how to setup an Amazon echo device as a speaker on the Hubitat?

Have a search for 'Echo Speaks' on the forum. I've never used it but someone should be able to assist. There will be other ways of doing it with rule machine without an Alexa integration. You could maybe:

• set up the same rule above to trigger a Hubitat virtual switch on then off each minute that the door is left open
  • expose that virtual switch to Alexa
  • set up a rule in Alexa that when that switch opens to do the announcement.