A call for solidarity and support

:joy: We've lost forum members before to 3D printers.

4 Likes

yeah.. a friend gave me a Monoprice Mini Select.. that was the starter drug for me. I just bought the Ender 5 Plus. Been doing nothing but tweaking and printing brackets for it. Actually just last night, I printed face shields and masks for the current situation.

1 Like

I would like to echo the @SmartHomePrimer call for solidarity and support to the Hubitat team in these difficult times. They have really gone all out in helping to support the base, and as such they deserve and have earned our support.

I have a number of hubs (3), and I'm going to purchase more for my friends who want to automate their homes.

Notwithstanding what I have just written, I have a number of suggestions towards system improvements which I am currently working on. I fervently believe that HE must be improved to the point where it will take market share away from the leaders.

I also believe that for most Home Automation setups, one should be enough. The fact that messrs. @csteele and @srwhite have developed a fantastic way of sharing hubs, is irrelevant - one should be enough. (But thank you again gentlemen, for making it possible).

6 Likes

And gained members who already went down that rabbit hole... Actually combining the two has some pretty nice advantages :slight_smile:

No please please don't start talking 3d printers.... 3d printing is what i do for a living now, and i could easily spend the next week talking shop settings materials and troubleshooting with you...

That being said if you do need some help feel free to PM me.

I can probably give you some pointers too :wink:

1 Like

Nice.. I think I got the printer pretty good now. Only issue I have now is when I print with Octoprint, the print comes out with lots of blobs. I don't see these blobs ff I print with the SD card. Been searching and I believe what people says are true, the 8 bit printer with the "serial" connection can not handle the comms from Octoprint.

Speaking of Octoprint, would be good to have a plugin to tell Hubitat to kill power to the printer when done or to power on the printer before starting print job. Also to have Hubitat send/speak notification when the print is done. (just some of my random thoughts)

Love the 3D printer solidarity, but wasn't the intent of this thread gentlemen. :grin:

3 Likes

Just be glad it didn't transform into arguments over slowdowns or Sh***ge locks. :wink:

9 Likes

OMG don’t jinx it

7 Likes

I'll report any posts that mention the lock that shall not be named! :rofl:

4 Likes

I thought I totally disguised my reply.

3 Likes

Sorry to drag back... but its not just about them so :stuck_out_tongue:

Thats simple to do.... I actually have a rule set up like that for all 3 of my printers and my lasers.

Simple options are a power monitoring outlet, or a contact sensor set up to only trigger when the bed is in the home position for X/Y.

With the power monitoring its fairly simple to set a trigger once the power drops back down, plenty of examples on the forum.

Contact sensor just make sure you homing the x/Y axis in your end gcode and put a delay on it so it doesn't trigger on large prints, only after sitting there for a min or two.

It can handle octoprint just fine, if i recall correctly you need to adjust the serial speed in firmware. by default its set low.

:wink:

4 Likes

3 hubs and no longer know how many devices :man_facepalming:t2:. Somewhere 350 to 400. This is the first time in 6 years where I spend more time relabelling the name of the devices and just batteries replacement. No delay, drop off or random weirdness.
This is all possible because of the cheap price of the HE hubs, local processing and Hubconnect.

8 Likes

Absolutely, @SmartHomePrimer. Here, here !
+1

3 Likes

Just ordered a new one! :smiley:

4 Likes

Yes I ordered another C-4 last night too :joy:. Now have 5 hubs, 4 will be production and my OG C-3 is my dev hub.

4 Likes

OK I have to ask, why a C-4 and not C-5? removable stick?

2 Likes

Typically if you’re in the US, that is the reason. If the hub hardware fails for any reason or you just want to change hubs, you can just restore the database to the new hub and move the stick. Your Z-Wave devices and rules will be good to go.

4 Likes

Yes sir. I have/will have 4 hubs with removable stick and one C-5, which is my coordinator having radios turned off. So if any fail I can switch things around easily.

3 Likes

I don't see an option for the C4 on the website. How/where did you purchase this?

1 Like