A/C control: Daikin Mobile Controller

All good, happy to keep the conversation going in the pm, but will definitely report back any findings here. Yeah, I tend to grapple with that stuff if the text get's too long, good for short, simple stuff, but of a pain for long oode. Perhaps we can get it up in Git if you haven't got it there already, might make things easier, but we'll take it one step at a time.

1 Like

happy new year @sburke781 i don't suppose you had a chance to have another go at that Daikin driver we discussed before christmas..?

Sorry @sanewton72, completely slipped my mind.

Looking back at our conversation I think you need to introduce the checkNull method I mentioned and use it in the reference to the currentModeKey.isNumber() condition. So:

if (currentModeKey.isNumber()){
// Set desired mode in HTTP call
mode = "&mode=${currentModeKey}"
}

would become:

if (checkNull(currentModeKey,'XYZ').isNumber()){
// Set desired mode in HTTP call
mode = "&mode=${currentModeKey}"
}

Where XYZ is providing something that will force the isNumber condition to fail, but won't throw an error in the process, like you are seeing at the moment.

You may want to consider whether you need to handle the situation where you don't have the mode set in terms of the call you send to the thermostat, not sure what it may be expecting....

hi @sburke781 thanks!

thanks for your help so far, i think with your knowledge this could be fixed relatively quickly, i'd like to suggest that a quick phonecall between us would narrow down where things are at MUCH quicker, and actually save both of us much time spent typing many long forum messages :slight_smile: If so let me know and I'll PM you my number, or I'm happy to call you. Will understand if you're not keen to do this though, and even if you don't I do appreciate your help as is... :+1:

i'm happy to add your suggestion, however my thoughts are that this course of action is actually chasing our tail (i.e. approaching the problem from the wrong angle): the currentModeKey variable should be storing the current mode of the Daikin. i think the reason it is not is because the driver is not parsing and assigning the mode to the relevant variables during initialisation and refresh. if we manage to fix that, we won't need to add lines of code to stop null value errors whenever the driver attempts to use those values.

does that make sense? do you agree?

1 Like

You're completely right on the null mode issue, it would not solve the underlying issue. Happy to take aook over the phone. PM me and we can sort something out.

I've got a Daikin Split system that I'd like to get working with hubitat too. Are you able to report back in this thread on your progress? I'm also happy to help with any testing/troubleshooting (coding if I have to!). I don't have a wifi module yet, and there seems to be a few different ones. Which one should I get for the best shot and getting integrated?

1 Like

Hi @simeon01 no worries will do.

daikin -v- hubitat summary:
IR blaster: easiest, need a powered location to sit/mount it

• sensibo ($150-ish), feedback seems to be that these are expensive but work well.
  • RM mini 3 (can get non-official ones on aliexpress for about $25) using @cybrmage's driver
  • Lenovo IR controller ($29 from JB Hifi or Hardly Normal, flash with Tasmota). Its small enough to mount inside the A/C unit, so super neat integration. I do this in other rooms with both LG and Mitsubishi A/C splits. Its reliable, stable and 100% LAN local)

Integrated Wifi module: most expensive, neatest integration
Daikin Wifi modules will cost you for your firstborn son, or about the cost of an entire A/C unit depending on your family/financial situation.

• BRP072Axx/BRP072Bxx: older, zero security. this works using the port of the Ben Dews Smartthings driver that @eriktack has tidied & added energy monitoring to.
  • BRP072Cxx wifi module: newer, secure. this is the one i'm trying to get working.

When I bought my Daikin A/C unit, the A/C installer I bought it from had no idea what a wifi module was, or why on earth you would want one. So the chances of him understanding that there are different modules with different characteristics were zero. Of course, I had no idea either, and just insisted he supplied the Daikin wifi module for its ridiculous extra cost, knowing that Benny Dews somewhere in the interweb had already done the hard work for non-coders like me. Well..the driver doesn't work with secure (HTTPS) because the hubAction method won't support it. And 6 months of my life later I'm still trying to turn an A/C unit on and off. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :scream: And before you state the obvious, I'm stubbornly refusing to go put in another IR blaster after giving my firstborn son to get my Daikin Wifi module, on top of the countless hours wasted trying to get a working driver to do its thing (I think he's now the senior Daikin smart home developer at age 8. He was promoted after suggesting that maybe the A/C could be turned on by something OTHER THAN A FREAKING TIMER)

It seems that 99.9% of A/C installers order the basic non-secure unit, so 99.9% of Hubitat users/coders with these A/C units also don't give a rats about this problem, mostly because ..well.. they don't have a problem. There's me and ONE OTHER GUY IN THE WORLD I know of (thats you @gabriel_kpk) who have one of these secure adapters and a desire for Home Automation.
So here we are.... @sburke781 kindly spent a number of hours last night on the phone with me going through the Ben Dews driver to get it working. We gave up in the end, with the current state of play being a person who has no coding knowledge (me) deciding to try to write a driver from scratch. See y'all in 2023...with, I suspect, an inoperable driver. :smirk:

Hope this all helps.

1 Like

Thanks @sanewton72! That clarifies things. My control unit doesn't have a remote, so IR blaster options are out. My brother has done a button pusher on his, but I reckon i can get a bit more sophistimicated :slight_smile:
I guess it was the BRP072xxxxx part number that I was after. I'll just make sure that i get an A or B module to avoid the https issues. Worse case, and I can only get a "C", then you'll have someone else motivated to get it working too. I've done plenty of coding in my time, but never a driver in groovy, so I probably won't be of much assistance sorry.

1 Like

Sad to hear you still have all these issues.

Regarding the wifi module: My non-secure module(s) cost me around the equivalent of $100 per unit from a daikin reseller/installer.

Occam's razor and all, wouldn't it be easier for you to just "give up" and call up a different installer firm and ask them to buy the A-module? If nothing else, it should be available as a spare part/replacement component for resellers.

2 Likes

@eriktack there you go and just STATE THE OBVIOUS. :slight_smile:
i have thought about that...many times.
why i haven't done that (yet)

• I have burnt enough $$ on smart home gear now sitting in a cupboard which promised much but delivered so little. enough is enough! especially when this adapter cost so much to start with. it was double what you paid.

• This community is so rich because people get things working, and share it with others. My assumption to date has been that the BRP072Cxx (secure) adapters are newer, with the non-secure ones being discontinued after AU daikin stock are sold. So I figured I could be part of a longer-term solution to the community by being the canary in the coal-mine, so to speak. The HA (Homeassistant) guys solved this ages ago, unfortunately their frivolous use of python has prevented me from shamelessly stealing their work.

well if you do get a C adapter, let me know and maybe we join forces :slight_smile:
at least you've done plenty of coding...i suspect you could help more than you think.

Yeah I realized when I wrote it on my phone that I whould probably have read a bit more. Saw you wrote it earlier, sorry.

Yeah, If i had one of those secure adapters I could do something about it, but as I dont, and dont have infinite time on my hands its not much i can do unfortunately.

Jumping in on this thread...

I have five Daikin wifi modules (five indoor units) spread across two buildings, all on the same account, installed last spring/summer. I THINK they are the secure version (C) but need to check (might take a day to two to find the paperwork). I am NOT a coder, but by messing around with existing drivers I found on the HE forum here, I have the units basically working with my HE hubs. I can turn them on and off and adjust temps, and change modes. I cannot change the fan mode on all of them. Also, the temp adjustment seems wonky as I think the original code does a rather imprecise conversion between Fahrenheit and Celsius. But they do work somewhat, and I would like to see them perform better by having someone who knows what they're doing have a look at the driver.

Let me see what I have for a wifi unit (C or not) and report back. My big goal is to have the units controllable from an iPad HE dashboard so that guests don't need to use those clunky remotes, which they always seem to mess up.

1 Like

Ive just had a Daikin installed today and it came with the BRP072C42 module
Be really happy if I could get it working in HE as their Android app is hit/miss with its remote off the lan mode (had to use a stupid username and very simple password to get it working, everything else i tried had either Server Unavailable error messages or if that worked i then couldnt log into it with the name and password it just let me create!)
Plus their app doesnt seem to work over my openvpn VPN to home as it does some sort of network search to find devices first and can never find anything and wont let you just input an IP address (it did work if i did a local network scan first then flipped to vpn after it had found devices, guessing it then caches their IP addresses after it finds them for the session only)

Well, I finally remembered to check my wifi modules and I have the A43 module, so that's why it's working. I have to see if I modified the @eriktack version of the driver or the earlier version, but either way, it sounds like you need the A or B version to get things working with HE. Also, I still have bugs in that I don't seem to be able to set fan mode. It works, but that's because I set fan mode with the IR remotes. And, I still have rather cludgy temp setting as I think it does rather poor C to F conversions.

Well looks like theres going to be no support for the BRP072C42 in Hubitat? so looking into either OpenHAB or HomeAssistant which both seem to support BRP072C42, which ones the best to use?

Sorry for late reply, but I just did an update to the fan rate setting, I had the change running locally for a couple of weeks and it works a lot better for me now.

I set up HomeAssistant on my NAS solely to integrate with Daikin BRP072C42. HA detects all the units straight away out of the box. Just need to key in the IP and network key (found on the sticker).

Then I installed Home Assistant Device Bridge on Hubitat to bridge Home Assistant devices into Hubitat. The bridge doesn't support thermostat originally. After some modification, I managed to bring all the BRP072C42 into Hubitat. It allows me to control the mode, preset mode, swing mode, fan mode and temperature.

1 Like

I think the big problem here is Daikin. These wifi modules are just ridiculously bad. We had a lightning strike take out some unmanaged switches across three buildings. Nothing connected to the switches was harmed (including Hubitat, thankfully). But when we brought the network and APs back online, the only wifi devices that failed to reconnect were all three of these Daikin devices in one building. ALL THREE!

We also had to have a compressor motor replaced under warranty, one year in. Daikin will not be installed in any other properties we purchase, of that I'm certain.

That made me LOL. I have 8 Daikin splits and hate them too. I hate that you can't just push a button on the remote to blow up or down or left or right, you have to sit there staring at it for 30 seconds till it moves to the desired position and then press swing toggle button. (And even then it only manages to blow 10 degrees off centre.) Do the wifi or IR integrations have distinct commands to set the vane position, or is it only a swing/don't swing as per the remotes?