4 Releases in 7 Days!

Seriously??

1 Like

Technically you don't need to update even if things aren't working, apparently we can choose whether to update.... :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

I think this is where we differ.

I dont really think my smart home is that important. Say an update breaks stuff. My family is inconvenienced for a day or so. Its not a big deal.

I tend to stay conservative with updates to my computer - since its actually very important for my school and etc. I manually update my computer. I tend to do security patches quickly, but I wait for bugs to go away before installing feature updates.

I see where yall are coming from now... My smart home is just not that important to need 100% uptime.

1 Like

First wife?

2 Likes

Or a keeper....

2 Likes

Still in highschool, so no :rofl:

1 Like

For sure. I install them all during the beta, but in production I skip lots of releases if the fixes are for something I don't use.

Why would I update for a fix I don't even need? Just to have the latest and greatest? Nah.

4 Likes

Reminds me of a team I used to work on where there was an automated check that each build was no slower than the previous one, with the goal of incenting no performance regressions. But it's difficult to add new features without requiring extra processing time, so any feature work would constantly trip the perf gates.

So what the developers would do is hoard performance improvements. Instead of improving the performance as much as they could for the best user experience, they'd keep a collection of potential performance improvements ready to check in. After each feature was done, they'd see how much performance it regressed and also check in a perf improvement of similar magnitude. The net result was that perf never regressed, but it never got significantly better, either.

3 Likes

If you run Home Assistant, you'll probably gain a better appreciation of wanting to check the release notes before you upgrade. I barely use HA (it controls my Hue bulbs to get them off my main zigbee mesh), and several features have "broken" when I do an update.. I couldn't imagine trusting auto-update on anything that I can't easily restage/reset.

That being said, what'd I'd LOVE to see is a "skip this release" button, so the little red dot doesn't destroy my psyche every time I hit the hub page... (#notificationOCD)

6 Likes

For those that don't chase every release but DO like to grab the last one before a major release... would it be OK to announce

"LAST WEEK TO AUTO-PULL the last of the x.y.z series" 

....in this case the last 2.3.7.x before 2.3.8 replaces that automatic download.

I know we've been told the older releases are available but this is so easy to just get the heads up and grab the last chance Easy Button download.

2 Likes

No, this doesn't make sense. It is possible there can be another hot fix were something unexpected to come up. Sometimes we update the Known Issues post to indicate that we expect a particular release to be the last one. Another indicator is when we announce beta for a new release (such as for 2.3.8 coming up), but that is not a certain guarantee.

Methinks there is just a bit of OCD in this thread, and it has run its course. We do recommend not to update automatically, as suggested above. Also, be aware that you can roll back from any given release using the Diagnostic Tool, which is completely separate from the hub releases.

16 Likes