2nd C-7 just ordered....need advice

As the title says, I just ordered a 2nd C-7 to set up with Hub Mesh.

I was just curious about any advice everyone has about how to divide things up.

A brief breakdown of my current configuration:

All light switches in the home are Kasa (local) but some are controlled with ZigBee buttons.

ZigBee is used for "accessories" like non essential contacts, a few buttons, etc

A decent number of ZWave devices that are mostly "mission critical" type stuff (perimeter contacts etc)

Lots of Echo devices with Echo Speaks.

Also using Unifi Protect integration which actually accounts for roughly 75% of the current Hub's busy time.

So, my thoughts were to use the second hub as a LAN integration hub. Would this be wise? I'm totally new and completely clueless about the ins and outs of Hub Mesh. Is there a way that I can "transfer" existing stuff over or will I have to start a whole new set up?

Let's start with the most detailed question first...

You can take a backup and then restore that to your new hub BUT, of course, no devices, active in the config, will be available on the new hub. Zigbee has the easiest answer here, because you can simply put them into pairing mode and start an Include on your new hub and the device will magically drop into place. Of course that description ignores the destruction on the original hub :smiley: You'd want to remove the device from the original hub before pairing it to the new hub.

LAN devices will transfer pretty easily, and in a lot of cases will work from both hubs.

After that it's a matter of discarding from the new hub, the devices that you didn't/won't transfer over.

As to your question of how to split your home, the answer is, you have to pick. I assume you've read similar discussions here in the Community and have seen splits by type.. LAN on one, Zigbee on another, ZWave on another. You've seen splits by area/location. Upstairs/downstairs, Front or rear, home and outbuilding. All are completely valid. The hubs won't care, your split is largely dependent on how your imagination works.

Let's imagine a problem... that Light didn't come on... in your head, you might think, ok, that light is run by that dimmer... which hub is it on? Hub Mesh will allow for that one dimmer to appear on both hubs but only one hub "owns" the communication to the device. So, which hub is the "Real device" connected to? And how you answer that is going to tell you more about how to split. :smiley:

2 Likes

How good is the mesh with your existing hub? If you have connection difficulties, then the best option might be to place the two hubs in different locations in your home and let each hub handle the closest devices.

If you current mesh is great, you do not NEED a second hub. If you have two hubs, then leave Z-wave on one hub and put Zigbee on the second hub.

Another option might be to put any cloud integrations on the second hub. These integrations tend to use a lot of hub processing time. For example, on my hub, the integration with Actiontiles uses 60% of my hub busy time. The Ecobee integration accesses the thermostat through the Ecobee cloud; it take 10% of by hub busy time.

1 Like

This is exactly my reasoning for get a second one and what I plan to do

2 Likes

Ao the steps I THINK I need to take are as follows:

Get new hub registered and on same version

Back up old hub

Restore back up on to new hub

Start deleting un used apps and devices from new hub (non lan stuff)

Go through and enable hub mesh

Delete the stuff I am keeping on the new hub, from the old hub.

Anything I'm missing?

Will this new hub be just for LAN devices? If yes the restore of your current hub along with deleting all the Zwave, Zigbee, apps, etc may be more effort than setting up the new hub from scratch. You would just need to install the LAN apps and drivers and once working setup hubmesh and link back to your current hub.

Either method is fine, just a matter of thinking about effort involved with cleanup vs new setup.

Totally understand what you're saying. My only concern is if I start from scratch then won't I have to go through all my main hub automations and fixed them since the devices will be different?

I currently have two hubs. One has the devices (z-wave and Zigbee), and some apps. the other handles most of the apps and all of the processing. I just share devices via hub mesh. I used to use hub connect, but I had an issue with it when I replaced my router and the IP addresses changed and I couldn't get hub connect to work any more. Both hub connect and hub mesh are great options for the task, but hub mesh is simpler, and more user friendly. I could easily recommend both, so its really just a matter of which works best for your use case. I'm considering adding a third hub to handle any cloud based integrations (most likely Rachio and Ecobee), but to be honest I really don't mind not having them in the Hubitat environment, so it just isn't a big push. I'm considering ordering a new hub to have modified with the extended Zwave and Zigbee antennas, which will also mean I'll end up rebuilding my meshes. If I do that, i'll probably use the current devices hub for my cloud integrations.

1 Like