2021 Tuya XZ-WSD01 Smart Brightness Thermometer

Hi @benwiseman ,
I have now a second ZSS-ZK-THL device and I observe a similar inconsistent behavior. There was a configuration where one of the devices was working stable and did not reset/reboot for more than a day, now both devices reset each hour... I hope that comparing the different configurations and different drivers versions will help me to find out what could be the reason(s) for the issue.

I am using 'InfluxDB Loger' app in HE to feed the data to a database server running on a RaspberryPi and then Grafana for visualization. But you could use the HE community app 'Hubigraphs' for drawing a time-line charts ( see this link )

Mine looks like this:

and clearly shows how both devices are reset every one hour now... ( I have the "Filter zero readings" option turned off in the driver).

There's an interesting observation from some changes that I made today:

TS0222 (old ) : continues to reset every hour:

• paired to a second HE hub (DEV);

• about 12 meters between the hub and the device, 3 solid brick walls in between

• just one other zigbee device in the same mesh, no zigbee repeaters!

• shows in ChildAndRouteInfo table :
    Child Data
    child:[Button SYMFONISK, 16F4, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
    child:[TS0222 (old) - DEV, 494C, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]

TS0222 (NEW) : DOES NOT RESET ! (for 14 hours till now):

• paired to the main HE hub (Home);
  • less than 1 meter between the hub and the device,
  • a lot of other zigbee devices in the same mesh, 5 zigbee repeaters in total!
  • does not show in ChildAndRouteInfo table :
    not present in the 'Child Data' ( so no direct connection to the sensor?)
    *a strange entry in the Route Table :
    status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [null, 00E4] via [Power Plug Ikea TRADFRI , F9A5]

The driver code is one and the same for both devices. No filtering of the zero readings.

This is the graph: ( the resets are clearly seen as drops of the temperature and the humidity)

The only change for the second device named "Moes TS0222 (NEW)" is the position of the sensor - away from the hub (reboots) and close to the hub (works OK!)

For me, the most suspicious difference between the working and the not working (resetting) device is not the distance to the zigbee hub, but the presence (or not) of Zigbee repeaters in the same network.

So as a next step I will move the non-working device to be close to the hub that it is paired to. If this does not change anything (the device continue to reset ), next planned step is to add a Zigbee repeater to the DEV hub mesh and see what happens. The working device will stay as it is now, no changes of any type so that it is used as a reference.

A quick update - as expected, both devices that I have are working fine, without any restarts and false zero readings when the communication to HE goes through a Zigbee repeating device (mains powered) :

This fact doesn't make the Moes ZSS-ZK-THL (TS0222) device fully usable with HE hub, as there is no guarantee that the communication will always go through a repeater. I achieve this by placing a Zigbee repeater or Zigbee power plug close to the Moes brightness thermometer and then removing the battery, waiting >30 seconds and re-insterting the battery again. There is a high probability that few minutes later the sensor will start communicating to the HE hub via the repeating device, but this can never be guaranteed.

in my setup, my house is made of concrete, i have the HE several rooms away and theres many zigbee light switches inbetween, i also have 3 eero6 devices which have a zigbee mesh, im not sure if the HE network and the eero5 network are meshed together or work separately though.

im certain the ts0222s are not communicating directly with the HE in my case.

@benwiseman can you double-check your settings again?

In a browser, open http://192.168.0.66/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo ( replace the IP address with your HE hub actual IP address). You should NOT see the name of your TS0222 sensors listed in the 'Child Data' section. If TS0222 devices are listed in this section this means they are communicating directly to the hub and you have to re-connect the sensors again - very close to the nearest zigbee light switch, that is paired to the HE hub. The eero6 zigbee mesh is different, even if it happens to work on the same channel as HE. Mains powered devices that are paired to eero6 zigbee network are not used as repeaters in HE.

And last, double-check you are using the driver that I posted 2 weeks ago; your device information page should look like this:

Latest published version is 1.2.2 ( link posted again).

Parent child parameters
EzspGetParentChildParametersResponse [childCount=0, parentEui64=0000000000000000, parentNodeId=65535]

Child Data

Neighbor Table Entry
[Hall Light, 34EC], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:6
[Bathroom, 6EC0], LQI:254, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:6
[Lounge Front Door, 8384], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:7
[Main bedroom light, C633], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:7
[null, DDA7], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:7
[Lounge Light, EE75], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:6

Route Table Entry
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [null, 1663] via [Lounge Light, EE75]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [null, A2C9] via [Main bedroom light, C633]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Bathroom, 6EC0] via [Hall Light, 34EC]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [null, A44C] via [Lounge Light, EE75]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [null, FA36] via [Lounge Light, EE75]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [null, 9ACC] via [Main bedroom light, C633]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Lounge Light, EE75] via [Lounge Light, EE75]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Lounge Front Door, 8384] via [Lounge Front Door, 8384]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [null, 8205] via [Lounge Light, EE75]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [null, F622] via [Lounge Light, EE75]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Main bedroom light, C633] via [Lounge Light, EE75]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Spare Room TH, 954F] via [Main bedroom light, C633]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [null, D56C] via [Lounge Light, EE75]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [null, DDA7] via [Lounge Front Door, 8384]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Hall Light, 34EC] via [Hall Light, 34EC]

thats one of the ts0222s

ill update the driver

ok i was on 1.2.0 now on 1.2.2, ill keep an eye on things and let you know what i find

New version 1.2.3 of the driver was uploaded today. Disabling any clusters bindings and reporting configurations seems to improve the stability a lot! Now my 2 x TS0222 are paired to two different HE hubs directly (not using any repeaters or mains-powered Zigbee devices). But we will need few weeks of monitoring before we can say it works stable or not.

Driver updates can be handled automatically if Hubitat Package Manager is used (it's a great must-have application!). As this driver is still experimental and not 100% proven to be working in all possible configurations, a 'custom repository' must be added :
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kkossev/Hubitat/main/repository.json

Then the driver can be found in the Hubitat Package Manager 'Install', 'Browse by tags' : 'Zigbee, "Moes ZSS-ZK-THLTS0222)"

The driver is now available for installation from the Hubitat Package Manager community app.

For new installations, you can search by keyword TS0222. For existing manual installations of the same driver, you can use "Match Up" function to ensure you will be notified of future updates.

1 Like

There is a new version 1.3.0 release that shows promising results in regards to stability.
The update is available from HPM.

If anyone still keeps this thing running or can take it out of the drawer - please let me know how if it works stable, without restarts, and without stopping the temperature and humidity reports after an hour, or after a day, or after a week.

I just setup one of these yesterday with your code. It did reset itself several times, however after fiddling with it (removed battery, repeatedly pressed the red button) I got it talking to HE, it reported lux, temp and humidity and seemed stable. However this morning I found it flashing black/white. I tried removing and replacing the battery but it just kept flashing. I then hooked it up to my bench power supply at 3v and it came back to life. Looks like the battery was drained overnight. Maybe it started resetting itself over and over until the battery drained? Maybe the battery drained down and it couldn't keep itself powered on? My next step will be to keep it on the bench supply and see if it resets itself. Will report back in a day or two.

1 Like