2 rule machine rules vs 1 room lighting rule?

When I was typing that, I was more referring to a different path when turning off, not on, but regardless, you have pointed me in the correct direction and genuinely been a huge help. Thank you so much

1 Like

some notes

I guess I have one (hopefully) last question: if turned off a light at the switch, I would want a cooldown period before it immediately turns the light back on (I.e. I hit the light switch and then it detects motion as I walk out of the room)

I’m not super worried about this, but if I did run into that issue, my instinct would be just create a virtual switch for every room (if lights turn off, turn on virtual switch, wait 10 seconds, turn virtual switch back off) and then just tell the rule the virtual switch needs to be off to run.

Do you know of a more elegant/efficient way to do that?

Not a big deal if no, I don’t even know if I’d set this up, most places in My house I don’t think would run into the issue (should detect motion long before I press it, and I should be out of view before it would re-trigger motion) but thought I’d ask anyway!

Thanks!

How this rule will work , is even if you turn on the light and then activate the detector the lights will turn off after the detector goes inactive and the delay happens. I use RL to auto on and auto off my lights per mode, but I have a hub variable per switch which when I turn on the light via the switch disables turning off the light. I have this because if I manually turn on the light I don't want it to turn off.

I havent touched it for years but i do need to update it to optimise it for RL now.

Is that kind of what your after?

No, I’m after a way that if I press the off button and then the motion sees me as I walk out of the room, the light stays off. A brief period of time where the light won’t re-trigger

Ok so same thing, you would need a hub variable that happens from the off from the switch. So 2 rules.
Then you would add that to the top IF so if light OFF AND "manual off" THEN.

What you would also need on the switch rule is to decide if you want it to go back to normal when you manually turn it back ON or when time elapses. If time you would add a delay to then turn the variable back off, if via the button you flip it when you turn it back on.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. I was just seeing if there was a more elegant way or simpler way to do it is all. Thanks for your help

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.