2.3.5.13X Progress on Zigbee

Same here as the places I installed the Sengled bulbs are places that have the light switches covered to make sure things like ceiling fans run continuously for air movement and the like.

Dark closets, dark hallway

Unfortunately everyone seems to have issues with a lot of zigbee devices. I also have had hue issues and aqara and other items seems that the newer version of the hub is not as backwards compatible as existing! I just meshed my c7 withe the c8 and using it for the devices that are not working with c8 and that so far has worked for how long is the question!

So I replaced batteries in one of my Hue outdoor motion sensors, and repaired it and the other Hue sensor that have been repeatedly falling off. I made sure I paired them w/the garage door closed (one is mounted on the front of the garage, the other down the driveway about 15') since that is how they will have to live 90% of the time. Previously I was joining them w/the garage door open since that's how I went out of the house to get to them. Figured make them pair in a "real-life" environment.

In any case, both paired up, the one w/the new batteries and the one that I didn't change the batteries on. Been 24 hours or more since then and both still talking to the hub, so once again some short-term success. Can't say I'm optimistic given previous results, but sort of a test...if the one I replaced batteries in stays on and the other doesn't then I'll replace batteries in the second one as well and try again.

They have both been reporting 100% battery the entire time, and the batteries have been in them for a while, so it does seem like battery reporting on the Hue is less reliable even than normal. Using regular alkalines in them.

At this point (knock on wood) these are the only Zigbee devices causing me any issues. Even my Aqara contact sensors are behaving better, and that's saying something. :wink:

I only use the finest lithium batteries in my Hue sensors. I want to be completely blindsided by the batteries dying in 2-3 years.

3 Likes

Not after all this 'testing'.

1 Like

Do you think it could have to do with being outside? Cold, dark, etc?
Mine seems to crap out more readily outside.
It's just percolating along now inside, with lux reports every 5 minutes.

1 Like

Yeah, and the neighbors are worried about all the time you spend out there with them massaging their shoulders and talking to them in dulcet tones... :wink:

1 Like

Not me. My “test” was moving all of my Hue sensors from the Hue bridges to my C-8 last week (inviting trouble as they say). They have been working better than ever. One of them would have dropped off my C-5 by now.

2 Likes

Seems odd, since they are designed for that environment, and Zigbee doesn't care too much about temperature AFAIK. The battery change may end up being important for me, as the batteries have been in it well over a year, and there is no way they could have still been at 100%. Outside does potentially mean more walls and obstacles to communicate through, which could have an effect.

Of course, my "cold and dark" isn't so cold or so dark compared to many here. We do get down to freezing sometimes, but mostly in the 40's overnight when it's "really cold!!" :wink:

How about driver?
Is everyone using the stock Hue Motion Sensor?
Maybe the generic one?

Issue is definitely not related to batteries - at least for me - I have mine all plugged in using battery eliminators.

Yes.
I just checked the routing table on my C-8 and all 7 of my Hue motion sensors are on it. They are all routing through Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 dongles.

It seemed like overkill when I bought 5 of them over a year ago, but now I’m glad I did. Plus they were only $15 each at the time.

2 Likes

Twins!

Well you're no fun. :wink:

2 Likes

Well now I really don’t understand why yours are dropping off. I have my C-8 power at 20 btw.

They weren't consistently on the SonOFf before, one was on a Tuya USB repeater, and the other was routing via a Zigbee plug. This is the first time they have both chosen the SonOff dongle, AFAIK. Fingers crossed...but like I said only been a little more than 24 hours.

Oops - and I refreshed the page and neither is now showing up in the Route Table Entry. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t have any of those.

I got a few of them to hopefully help w/Aqara, but not much ever routed through them. Currently one motion sensor (Iris) is routing through one of them, and does me no good, as Iris sensors don't need the Tuya to route well. So at least for me they have been a dud.

1 Like

Hue Motion Sensor driver for mine.

You can also try custom app called CocoHue. It appears to do the same things but without the splitting devices into multiple singles. I am just now looking at it myself. Let us know how it works out for you.

Platform version : 2.3.5.113 Hubitat C8
Any progress on this zigbee issue please? I am still seeing random behavior over time, a device stops working then a few hours later it may start working again and when using the zigbee sniffer I can see that when it stops working Hubitat is not sending any commands to it when I press the device page web buttons and when it starts working again Hubitat is sending the expected commands. The Hubitat Zigbee Logs page shows no activity when Hubitat stops sending the commands. Yet all this time the Zigbee Details page shows the device details so Hubitat believes it to be present. When I reset or power off and on the Hubitat box the problems seem to shift to different devices. I did not have this instability with the C7 unit.
I just re-joined a faulty device and it started working (Hubitat reported finding the existing device). I then tested all my devices again and 2 previously not working switches are now working properly (34 devices in total) I still have 6 not working at the moment.