2.2.7 Zigbee OTA updates

I just updated 2 Hue outdoor motion sensors. I got the "wildcard" error multiple times but each time the update went a bit further than previously. The first one went to 60% and then I got the error. I redid the update and it went to 80% and a third time it appeared to complete. Similar story on the second one but in that case it took about 6 or 7 tries.

EDIT: Hub is C-5, FW is 2.2.8.156

Okay, seems like after a FW update of the hub all of my Ledvance/Osram stuff is unpaired again (anyoing!). I will look into this.

I am sorry, I don't get this. I am running a C7 with FW 2.2.9.146. What do you mean by that? How can it be, that this isn't going to work on "my mesh"? What are the requirements that this does work? I have two different issues with "wildcard" stuff in the logs:

sys:12021-11-03 23:17:22.556 Firmware update for [name:Bewegungssensor Bad Dusche, manufacturer:Philips, imageFileName:null, fileVersion:null] failed, the device doesn't support wildcard file parameters.

sys:12021-11-03 23:16:27.181 Firmware update for [name:Wandlicht außen 1, manufacturer:Philips, imageFileName:100B-0111-01001800, fileVersion:01001800] failed, the device doesn't support wildcard file parameters.

sys:12021-11-03 23:14:14.833 Starting firmware update for Wandlicht außen 1, Philips from 0100080A to 01001800.

The error for the motion sensor comes right away. The other takes a while, but has never given me any upload percentage back.

But they are not even implemented for the "normal user" are they? I am just wondering, since what I can tell from online research other devices seem to support the IKEA OTA now. I just would like to get everything (at least as far as I can) from ZLL to Zigbee 3.0 and since a lot of the devices, which I use, are from Ikea this is just a lot of work if Hubitat will not support this in the next couple of weeks.

Not sure if this helps, but below is the sequence of events and timing when I updated my Philips Motion Sensors

It took about 13/14 minutes before it went from "Starting firmware update..." to giving the first percentage. As you can see, it failed a few times and then eventually completed. I did each one sequentially just to be safe.

1 Like

Thanks, but I do not think that this helps. Since the message comes instantaneously and my guess is that

Firmware update for [name:Bewegungssensor Bad Dusche, manufacturer:Philips, imageFileName:null, fileVersion:null] failed,

this part is the reason. Seems like it does not find the imagefile as yours does.

I don't think it's possible to update a LL ZigBee radio device to ZigBee 3.0. it's more than software involved.

1 Like

All devices that was released with ZLL firmware have getting updated to Zigbee 3 except the old CWS (LED1624G9E27EU) and the old motion sensor (E1525).

Found here: IKEA TRÅDFRI / DIRIGERA OTA file versions matrix · zigpy/zigpy · Discussion #660 · GitHub

EDIT: What I find interessting that Hue products are not updated to ZB3. The official news I found regarding this topic are from 2018. So I was wondering if Philips changed its opinion about this as well? I checked the zigbeealliance website and there are several motion sensors listed, with ZLL and ZB3 as well. As far as I know there is only one indoor sensor "SML001", thus I would expect it is also just software changes as well?

1 Like

No it it is both, the hardware has be capable of supporting 3.0 and it's traffic, most LL stuff is done cheaply and have older cheaper hardware in (Philips, osram). So although your products you mention have can, they were probably always intended to be. It was possibly just certification, so they get them out at the less regulated LL while they sorted out the 3.0.

Well from Hue I use the motion sensors, a few light bulbs, Adore bathroom lights and two outdoor wall lights (name I do not remember). Some of the stuff I bought after 2020, some way before. But I don't know how to tell if they are on ZB3.0 or ZLL. Having them at least on the latest firmware would be nice, though. Changing out 1-2 bulbs would not be the big issue, but especially with the Adore and outdoor stuff an update would be nice, if they are not on ZB3.0.

Also with the ikea stuff: Because I thought my Mesh is not bad, but then realized that a lot of my ikea items still run on ZLL eventhough they could to ZB3.0 and that is just a bummer.

Having them 3.0 just means they should fall back correctly. Then when Hubitat moves to 3.0 they will aswell, but until that happens they would run at the hubs level which is HA 1.2

There is some other advantages to 3.0 though (on top of them working better in the mesh) I was able to direct link stuff at the same time as the hub for example. This was called find and bind in the product I used and ment that the scene plate was directed linked to the lamp (so worked without the hub) but also I could control the both from the hub. This is a massive pro to 3.0 and home automation as a whole.

1 Like

I have four Hue Motion sensors, 1 on 100B-010D-42006BB7, 3 on 100B-010D-420049E0. Two devices are within 10 ft of, and directly connected to the hub without a repeater.

I've tried factory resetting, pulling the batteries, but always get the following wildcard message with null values on all four devices. I'm on a C-4 hub with 2.2.9.146. I managed to get the device on '6bb7' updated on 2.2.7.

Tagging: @mike.maxwell

mine says image null i need image file or its supposed to be there I'm on 2.2.8

Wasn't the message inanother thread that HA is way more better than ZLL, because in a Mesh more information can be passed by each device and there will be less "overflows" with information loss? And yes, I was honestly not aware that the hub itself is not supporting ZB3.0. Would be nice for the zigbee green devices though. I was looking at button controllers the other day and would have loved if hubitat would be able to integrate them.

But back to topic: how do I upgrade my devices?

1. Ikea stuff has to be integrated by staff, I guess. The FW files are public, but there seems to be a hick up? Alright, what is the road map on that?
  2. Hue is integrated already, but besides me lots of other users seem to have problems with it.
    2.1. What do I do when the update starts, files are found but the "wildcard" pops up?
    2.2. what do I do when the update does not start (motion sensors) and files seem to be missing?

If files are found, my experience (and some others) has been to repeat the upgrade process and eventually it will complete.

2 Likes

No... ZLL bulbs make extremely bad repeaters and messengers and don't repeat when in off (really lower power state) so anything routing through it drops off like a drunk at a frat party. ZHA on the otherhand routes properly. Bulb wise zigbee 3.0 over comes this as to sengled bulbs (they do not repeat) The solution to the ZLL issue is to isolate ZLL bulbs on their own hub (such as another hubitat or HUE bridge) . This way they won't interfere with with the ZHA mesh.

1 Like

I did that 10-15 times on one device. No luck. I have 40 devices or so and honestly not in the mood to spent time on try and error stuff. Thanks for your reply, though :slight_smile:

Well, what I thought and understand is:
I can upgrade all of my Ikea devices from ZLL do ZB3.0, those will then fall back to ZA1.2 and thus act as a "good" repeater. And that is what I want to do.
If I have a few Hue devices, which still run on ZLL and these are not upgradable to ZB3.0 and are not expensive to swap out, I am also willing to do that. I am not intending to take down entire lamps (Adore for example). So if these are on ZLL (how can I tell?), that is unfortunate, but hey. I am not getting another hub for ZLL, eventhough in another thread I was also told, that this is a good solution. But if I could update (and maybe swap) most of it, I have like maybe 4 Lamps left on ZLL, which would be okay, I guess.

I do not understand the term "sengled" - what do you mean? ZLL updates to ZB3.0 but still does not repeat?

Oh that would be a pain.

Out of curiosity, did it ever start the upgrade process after it found the file? Or was the next log entry the "failed" message? In both cases for me, it did start the process and then aborted at some point.

No, it's always the same behaviour like in the Log postet: one Line says starting the update with file XXX and the next line 2-3min later says failed. Without any percentage in between.

“Sengled” is a brand. Their led bulbs do not act as repeaters.

what do I do when the update does not start (motion sensors) and files seem to be missing?