[2.2.5.131 C7] Unable to include ANYTHING

The other day, I was trying to include a Z-Wave S0 door lock--couldn't get it to work.

It would start to find the device, then never complete.

Well, I now have a Z-Wave Plus Fibaro FOB and am trying to include it.

Same thing: it pops up the "Found Device" box--but never completes.

In both cases, it never got to the point where it was added and the prompt to name the device came up. It got stuck at the "Found Z-Wave Device with id xx" and that device was a "ghost node" that I had to remove.

It's frustrating that I suddenly cannot add devices--and I have no clue what else to try.

I've shut down/powered off/rebooted the hub a number of times. I've got the hub inches to a few feet from the devices, etc. I've tried everything-with no luck.

I assume you've checked your Z-Wave details page, and are not seeing any ghosts or weird looking devices there?

As I said--when I try to add these, it adds a ghost. Which I then have to remove.

Those are the only ghosts I see--and I don't leave them there.

Thanks, sorry, I missed that in your description above.

I don't see specific mention of factory resetting (even if it's new) and power cycling of the device. I've never needed to power cycle the C7 to get a Z-Wave device to join, but I have found that certain devices refuse to enter inclusion mode until I power cycle the device itself.

1 Like

While they are very different devices, both of the devices are definitely entering "inclusion" mode themselves.

And, you can see the hub actually finding them--and starting the process. Then, for whatever reason, it just stops.

I've done "exclusions" for both of them many times.

For the door lock, it was very much "excluded" and the hub recognized it--but I don't know that I "factory reset" it. The Fibaro Fob, I tried to do a hard reset, but it's awkward to pull off--but, I definitely pressed the buttons to drop its inclusion information (although, it doesn't seem to want to do an exclusion via the hub--the "exclude" process it uses deletes the hub information on the fob but doesn't trigger the hub, leaving a ghost node I need to remove).

Don't think this will necessarily help this issue, but you could download the current hub database, do a soft reset, and restore the hub database when the hub reboots right after the reset. (Option at the bottom of the first screen that comes up after the hub reboots to restore database.)

I'd pondered that--but, without a good reason to think the DB is at fault, I've not done it.

I keep hoping to hear from some of the staff with some ideas to try (@bobbyD @gopher.ny @bcopeland etc). I'm kinda sunk ATM. And, in general, my z-wave stuff just isn't working as well as it was (notably more things not responding reliably).

What platform version are you currently running and on what hub model?

I forgot to put it in the subject--fixed.

2.2.5.131 (C7)

Go to the “ghost node” and hit discover then wait for about 30 seconds and refresh the page.. Let me know if it discovers

1. I noticed this for the Fibaro:

It also had a lot of traffic, long after the inclusion screen popped up and froze.

Doing a discover results in:

I just got a Zwave Toolbox gizmo. It shows this around the discover:

And, interestingly enough, when I did a Discovery on the hub, followed by a "wakeup" on the fob, it seemed to work. W00t! One down, the door lock next.

2 Likes

@bcopeland - While I got the Fibaro fob connected--the "discovery" did nothing for my Schlage S0 lock. It did generate a LOT of additional traffic between the hub and the lock, just no success at pairing.

I had issue with zwave locks, i had to take them off door and pair right next to hub.. Eventually replaced all with kwikset zigbee board swap to get rid of zwave.. Also in general i have found that pair with security takes more data exchange and I have had poor results pairing some devices at a distance with security, whereas with all ticks unchecked they paired immediately.

Yes. I have my Hubitat hanging inches from the lock

1 Like

@bcopeland: As for the Door lock

Tried the include then the discovery. Lots of traffic, no success.

Had to reboot to get the "exclude" to work

rebooting again after that.

Rebooted--tried again.

Rebooted--did discovery

Still nothing--still ghost node.

Repairs and Refreshes show communications that seem successful. So, not sure why the Hub isn't finishing the connection--since it clearly has the encryption key and is able to talk to the device proliferously.

But, when I do the discovery, there's a lot of traffic between the lock and the hub.

And, the Zwave Toolbox shows it as "encrypted", with ACKs

It is interesting that some look to come from node 1, others from node 2.

Any ideas?

@gopher.ny It seems you have suggested doing a backup/restore for lockups that are seeming to become more prevalent lately (and, I'm seeing issues as well, with occasional temp lockups/slowdowns).

Is that something I need to try?

One person apparently totally removed all devices and started over or something--I certainly don't want to have to go to that extreme.

Thoughts?

I too am struggling with Zwave inclusion for new devices. I am switching from a C5 to a C7. Next to nothing is including normally. Here has been my process that seems to be working. Set the Zwave network to inclusion, put the device in inclusion mode, I generally get the pop up asking me what security options I click cancel, since I don't understand what its asking. Next step is to reboot the hub. Once rebooted set the network to exclusion, pretty often I get and unknown device excluded message. Next factory reset the device and run through the inclusion process, most time I get the initializing window but it hangs on this screen. Repeat, hub reboot, exclude the device, factory reset the device and run inclusion again. Eventually, third or fourth try my device gets discovered correctly. I have been doing this in batches of 4 devices and then waiting a solid 36 hours before writing and automation. Even after waiting the automations are not reliable, takes a few days and I steadily see the performance improve. After a week the automations are solid.

This is your problem. Search the forums, there are posts explaining the security choices. What type of devices are you trying to include?

It’s also possible, by now, since you have been doing so many failed inclusions, that you have ghost nodes (nodes without any in, out clusters), that can mess up your mesh. Those nodes need to be removed.