2.2.4 ...... when?!? NOW!

As I have hypothesized before:

Well they only have 999 times to get it right before they have to increment to 2.2.5. With the way it appears to be going (no inside knowledge here), they will be in the 2.2.500 series before we know it.

:smile_cat:

2 Likes

I personally think that we should all realize two key points in thinking about "when is 2.2.4 coming out":

1. there is no question that the degree of complexity (and regression testing) for Hubitat has increased dramatically over time due to the incredible flexibility and control that Hubitat now offers
  2. in my humble opinion, 2.2.4 is perhaps one of the largest, most significant, releases yet (think of Hub Mesh significantly)

"No Hubitat Release before it's time..."

3 Likes

I agree. I think there is almost TOO MUCH new stuff in 2.2.4... LOL

Biggest single release I can think of.

4 Likes

Or maybe after 2.2.4 a version 2.3.0 will be released... :innocent:

I would be happy if only two things were accomplished:

(1) fix the Z-Wave stack issues for C-7, and

(2) fix the numerous bugs for which I have turned in support tickets in the past 5 months, that I have been assured by support will be fixed in 2.2.4.

1 Like

I actually believe they are making a mistake with their method for determining what to put in a release and when to release it. The upcoming release will address two main areas:

1. Fix major things that are broken.
  2. Introduce new features.

Not every release addresses the first item. Usually a minor bug will get fixed, but a typical release usually doesn't address major bugs that for many users is making the hub unusable. Usually there is nothing that major to fix.

As soon as hubitat realizes that there is something major that needs to be fixed, then that needs to be done and the upcoming release should just focus on that. This doesn't mean that people working on new features or enhancements shouldn't continue working on them, while others are trying to fix the major problems. But the new features or enhancements should not be part of the next release until the major problem is fixed.

Right now, the release in in beta testing. If any of the beta testers have found any issues/bugs with the new features or enhancements then they need to be addressed before the official release. This takes time and therefore delays the release. If the release only contained a fix to the major problems, the beta testing (and related fixing of bugs that appear through beta testing) would be quicker.

Having the hub be functional needs to be a higher priority than new features.

If any current beta tester has found an issue with a new feature and/or enhancement, then that is sad, since it delayed the amount of time a fellow hubitat user has to wait to have a functional hub.

4 Likes

Well said.

1 Like

I am just hoping that the C4 issues with Z-Wave/performance are fixed as well, because from the last Hubitat live it seemed like the updated only addressed the C5/C7. Otherwise I feel like I am being force into purchasing a C7 so I have less issues that were NOT PRSENT before 2.2.3.

Can I use my ASR33 and paper tape reader?

3 Likes

Current loop interface requires a hardware upgrade, so you will have to wait for C-8. I suspect that there's a really big demand for that.

1 Like

And then we'll get into a tizzy needing tools to measure current as it goes around and around and around. A dizzy tizzy. Can we use Token Ring instead - loop de loop?

I have some Arcnet cards around here somewhere. That and Novell ShareNet and I'm all set.

Do you have a thread with your issues? I think there will be some more z wave debugging tools, but most of the current zwave issues are resolving s2 security, and 700 chip on the c-7.

I have to agree that 2.2.4 should've been for bug fixes/ zwave 700 issues only since there was soon many people with broken devices waiting on a fix (I pretty much had to remove all my zooz devices, which I have added back now with no boxes checked).

I usually wait a week to update my hubs, but with this large release, I might wait a month since they have so much baked in to push bugfix releases. I'm excited at all the new features, but there's a lot of prolonged disappointment that came with the c-7 that might have been able to be resolved a few weeks ago.

I have a c-4 c-5 and c-7 and have been able to keep all my meshes stable although took some wizardry. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That's a big "if", and probably not the case - at least not with any substantial time impact.

Why do I say that? Because I know they are still making zwave and hub platform tuning changes. So if the underlying "bug fixes" are critical path to release, which I believe they are, then your comment is moot.

I would agree 100% that incurring substantial delays in publishing bug fixes to wait for new features would be bad. But I'm not seeing that right now.

9 Likes

LOL, I'm on a C-3 and here's to hoping... yes hope is not a strategy

1 Like

You and me both... all my Production ZWave is on a C-3 and C-4 :slight_smile:

BUT... my expectation is that the ZWave improvements are written against the 700's SDK and thus won't appear in the C-3 thru C-5.

I have a C-7, but keep changing my mind on how to deploy it... mostly because my C-3, and pair of C-4's are doing an adequate job. I have moved a few devices to the C-7 but there's no "oh wow, that's so much better." It's completely "oh my, it's exactly the same." :slight_smile:

1 Like

YAY!!!!!!! IT'S HERE>
Do I or don't I. :thinking:

Now! Release 2.2.4 Available

4 Likes