2.2.3.135 and InfluxDB Logger

Background: I have a C-5 currently running platform version 2.2.3.135. I have been using the InfluxDB Logger for a few months and it started logging erratically a week or so ago. Today I investigated.

The logged data is displayed in Grafana and I noticed some missing points but was busy with other things and blew it off. The data most frequently missing was the power value from Aeotec Nano switches and I figured I just needed to power-cycle the circuits but it was easier to look into the software side here at my desk (lazy, aren't I? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

I first looked at HE device events to see if the power values showed up there and they do. Aha, so maybe InfluxDB Logger isn't logging them. A little bit of sql-ish probing in the data shows missing entries. So back to HE and the InfluxDB Logger app config. When I first opened the app I saw the usual, and confusing, attribute selection options. Then something strange happened as the screen changed format. Confused, I backed out of that page and selected the app again. A nice selection screen had replaced the confusing one and some of my previous attribute selections were no longer selected like all the switch power attributes! I went through all the attributes and selected the ones I want as some other devices which were previously selected weren't anymore.

I'll wait a few days before declaring total victory but I'm left wondering how any of the power values got logged because none of them were selected in the new view. :thinking:

Next thing I did was check the code for InfluxDB Logger as I figured there must have been an update but no, it hasn't changed for a long time.

So all I can guess is that updating from 2.2.1.115 to 2.2.3.135 changed the behavior of the selection page and also the selections themselves. Perhaps I missed something in the release notes for an intervening version but I can't find it now.

It never occurred to me to go through app setups because of a platform update so I hope this helps someone else "cut to the chase" if you're having strangeness after such an update.

I am in the last stages of publishing a metrics / logs and events collection solution, I have had it up and running for past months without any issues.
Looks like we are all going on the same stuff :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Are you saying your effort with compete with the InfluxDB/Grafana solution? I'll be interested to see what ya got.

Ohh ya event better :slight_smile:

Pictures :slight_smile:

...or it never happened... :wink:

How can I get pictures of a screen that no longer is displayed???

LOL we're referring to @syepes project :smiley:

Exactly. Sorry @LosinIt for any confusion. By the way, another user did very recently submit a Pull Request to the Hubitat Community GitHub Repository for the InfluxDB Logger App. This pull request was merged just a few days ago. I am not sure if you somehow got the updated code...but that might explain the differences in the display.

If you'd used the Reply to the lower right of his post then I'd have seen you were referring to him and not me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It's all good.

No, I didn't know that and I won't see it until I drop my f/w rule temporarily to do updates so thanks for the heads-up.

Be sure to make a backup of your existing InfluxDB Logger App, just for safekeeping. :wink: I have no personal experience with the new version, however the developer of the new version really appears to have put quite a bit of effort into industrializing it.

1 Like