2.1.7 GE Smart Fan Control not showing 100%

Thought I read in the release that the Set Level could be now set to 100%. Not showing it as functioning....and High is still mapped to 75%...which may be normal, not sure. (Could be user error though too..I did remove the driver and readd it to test).

Anything >66 is high on the ge fan controllers. So whether it shows 75, 85 or 99 really doesn't matter functionally.

So your saying a set level of 100 does not put the fan on high? Does it do anything?

It refuses to accept it in Set Level...just ignores it. 75% is mapped to high I believe.

Wait..I see what it is doing now.. if you put in 100% in maps it to 75% I guess that is the functionality.

Wonder why they just don't make 100% High though...Not sure if 25, 50 75 is intuitive from a slider standpoint to dumb end users (ie: me)

That's what I would have done.... :wink: But it is really just for optics, as the functionality is the same either way.

Z-Wave levels cap out at 99. I'm not sure if any of Hubitat's built-in drivers do anything to fake 100 behind the scenes (would be quite easy to just convert it to 99 as it gets sent off to the device), but fans are obviously an even more challenging issue.

So...what I'm saying is, have you tried 99 instead of 100, not that it matters much with what you've discovered above anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha tinh thank goodness for search. Thanks for this thread as I just noticed no matter how hard I tried the device page wouldnt show phiger than 75%.

So this has been bothering more and more. The fan being being fully on reports as 75%.

@mike.maxwell @bcopeland the fan reporting like this is strange and throws off dashboards where I'd like to see he actual percentage instead of low/med/high. Is there any possibility of adjusting this?

Sure the driver could be changed.. But itโ€™s purely a cosmetic thing.. The way these z-wave fan controllers work is through switchMultilevel which is 0-99 but they only actually operate on 3-4 speeds depending on the model and settings.. So ranges in there are fan speed 1... 2... 3... 4

Right. On the GE fan controller internally it reports 0-25-50-75. The driver is just reporting what the fan is telling it.

So yes, the driver could report "something else", but that would be a pretty non-standard thing to do. In general the drivers report what the device tells it - which is exactly what it is doing in this case.

I would stop using % on fans, and use speed - which was always the intent on zwave fan controllers. Them reporting multilevel at all is just a side effect, and never really intended to be used.

Could GE have made high=99 instead of 75? Sure, but they didn't, so.... :man_shrugging: As soon as you change high=99% someone else will want low=33% I guess, and medium=66%....

Seems to me there is/was a user driver that did exactly that at one point...

1 Like

Indeed! Lol

Okie dokie. Not going to argue with GE design decisions or other community members. Seemed like a simple thing. Apologies for asking.

No apologies necessary. It is always ok to ask for anything!

I haven't looked at it in ages, but my user ge fan driver might do what you want already (I'm honestly not 100% sure). Take a peek sometime.

According to GitHub I haven't done anything to/with it in 16 months. And I don't actually even use it myself - I use the in-box driver.

Is ok. I was aware of alternate drivers. Was just trying to get something changed that was confusing to me. As it was Alexa who also reported 75% for the fan and not high med or low that started me looking at this.

I said my peace and staff can do with it as they will.

1 Like

Ahhh.. That is because official fan control support doesnโ€™t exist in the current version of the Echo skill app.. This is coming soon.. Iโ€™ve been testing this actually.. As well as many more Alexa upgrades.

3 Likes

Thank you! I am looking forward to seeing what you add to Alexa. The recent Thermostat and Temperature sensor updates are very much appreciated!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.