10-15 second delay

Metering still a good idea. But you could leave it at 50 ms.

2 Likes

just tried a all off. a dimmers went to dim 3% and another to 9%.
I was hoping the code of the new firmware would have get rid of that issue.

I added a metering at 50ms. will see

ok, so here are the result I get with the z-wave L-Com antenna and the amazon one (this one :https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07K74FNNK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

the amazon antenna has an advantage in my setup here:
the L-COM is in the roof of the basement/floor of the main floor. (all wood beams, wood floor) where the amazon antenna is sitting on the floor of the main floor, in the wall. so roughly 1 feet higher than the lcom.

here are the stats.
feeling wise, the amazon one works much better. no miss fire, all off scene get executed withing 5 seconds.
the lcom gets its share of miss fire and yesterday night the all off took a good 30 seconds

both ran for about 2 weeks
and yes you will see devices in the lcom image that didn't exsit in the amazon. I added a couple in those 2 weeks

so not scientific as I added devices and antenna are not exactly at the same place (1 feet lower)

Lcom antenna:

amazon antenna:

and the Lcom almost cost me $100 CAN where the amazon is $9 CAN each

I noticed you used an sma antenna for your test is the L-Com the sma version or the rp-sma version I posted? The rp-sma antenna doesn't have a center pin in the connector. It's in the hub side connector instead.

1 Like

yeah I know. I went with SMA instead of RP-SMA. I saw more antenna choices with SMA. I suspect it does not change anything as long as I dont connect a SMA into a RP-SMA.

Correct just wanted to make sure you switched both :cowboy_hat_face:

Rp-sma is my personal preference from drone racing so the antenna side wears out from disconnecting and reconnecting instead of the connector side. Doesn't matter if your not swapping often.

2 Likes

Do you have some Zooz ZEN25 devices ?

no, I dont have zen25

it has been running for a couple months now. seems decent. a missfire here and there.
here is how it looks. does not look impressive to me for a hub with the external antenna modification.
BTW, both devices with "TEST" are powered off. they are, as the name state, for testing.

I find signal and latency to be pretty long...
something that pops?
are those number to be expected?

and if I compare with the first pictures I posted (when I didn't had the external antenna) is looks similar to the one I just posted with the external antenna.
I was wandering if I messed up the welds. so I unscrew the antenna. everything was working so poorly. so I assume I did it right.

Can you post some really close-up pics of the solder joints? Maybe we can see if there are any issues. Usually see stuff like this when the hub is next to an interference source such as a wiring cabinet or mirrors/refrigerators etc.

Ill find time to open it and find a way to take a good picture. I guess an iphone is not enough... Ill find a way.

the antenna is in a wall. I assume both edges of the wall have a metal frame so both wall corners are strong and resistant.

An iPhone should be able to. Just zoom in all the way.

Also, what's the signal like if you take it out of the wall? Somewhere a little more wireless friendly.

2 Likes

That’s a negative for signal propagation I would think. Also figure at least 2 2x4s stacked at the end of that wall.

1 Like

bringing this back to life for however reads this later.
it was a challenging issue for the newbie I was.

solutions were:

1: always factory default any zwave devices before doing a zwave association with the hub. that changed everything for me. every. single. devices. all of them.

2: scenes are gone now and replaced by room lights. that seems to work so much better! no need to use metering, works great and super fast.

3: external antenna probably helped. but im not sure it's needed that much. maybe for big houses. the thing is, signal numbers I showed in post above improved so much after I reset all zwave devices. so I dont think it was the antenna, but the reset of each zwave devices was a miracle for signal improvement. next house I do (a small one) ill try no antenna mod.

thanks everyone for your help and support!

1 Like